Random shutdown- PSU bad?

crazytimes

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Been having persistent problems in the last few months with random shutdowns. Computer is about two years old, built it myself, had no problems up about 3 months ago.

Lighting struck nearby- I live in a ridiculously lighting prone area- power surge ensued, problem has been about since then. Computer was plugged into a surge protector/filter at the time, there was no warning of the storm, I usually unplug from the wall when lighting is around to avoid these situations.

If I leave computer on overnight, it will usually restart at least once. During gaming it will restart fairly regularly, usually at least a couple of times an hour. Noticed recently that turning on a vacuum cleaner on the same circuit guarantees a restart. It is now plugged into two filter/surge protectors to no avail.

Reseated everything. Run memtest overnight, no errors. Alternated single sticks of RAM, same problem. Downclocked everything, same problem. The vacuum cleaner situation leads me to believe it is most likely the PSU.

Windows error log just tells me there was a critical error that lead to a reboot, nothing in the log before the restart.

Before I drop a lazy couple of hundred on a new PSU- Corsair TX750M for the record- anything else I could be looking at? Do not have a spare handy to test unfortunately, but it seems to me to be the most likely culprit at this point, some kind of oversensitivity to power shifts as a result of the lightning surge. Thoughts and opinions?

technot27

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
i might open the case up and see if all the fans are also working correctly. ya never know. it sounds like when you leave it on overnight its not under load but it will restart. when you start playing your games then the psu is under load and it might not be putting out enough watts to run everything so it shuts its self off.