Trying to upgrade my dvd burner HL-DT-ST GH10L so it can read Verbatim DVD-Rs but can't get into exes

Scribels

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi, I have a HL-DT-ST-DVD-RAM GH10L FC09 161. And when I try to upgrade the firmware it wont let me.

The reason why I'm trying to upgrade firmware is because it will read cds, it will read burned sony dvds, but it wont read verbatim dvd-rs. And 80% of my dvd-rs are Verbatim, plus I need to burn dvd-r's regularly. I'm thinking, but not sure, that updating the firmware will fix this. But problem is I get errors when I try to update firmware. With this update:

sp37493.exe

"Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been canceled (9998)
I figured out what this probably means is that mine is updated to newer version than this update (probably).
But I have no proof of that. I'm not sure if upgrading firmware fixes what a dvd player reads. But I heard of cross flashing drives and that is a possbility, but I wanted to use FC0B first.

I also have this "GH10N_EF08.exe", but this won't work either. I have a way of upgrading firmware, but I can't get the bins out of the exes, I checked windows temp folder, but it appears that it doesn't extract there.

Anyways, I just don't fricken understand why these SATA drives that I have used don't read DVDRs. I have a PATA drive and it's the same model a lightscribe LG and that burns any format, reads any brand dvd format and works. Why isn't this one working even though it's the same brand. Did they purposely make the drive crappy, not to read certain dvd-rs, does it really need firmware updating? I only have 1 pata on this motherboard, and it's used for 2 hard drives. Any advice, what the problem is, what I can do(besides tell me to buy a new dvd drive).

I read on other forums claiming they upgrade firmware, but I have no idea how they got the .bins out of the exe files. I searched for FC09.bins, came up with nothing. Not sure what to do at this point.

I ran some utility tools, but they said there are no problems with the drives.

Edit: And I'm running Windows 7 64 bit

Update: well, I manged to rip a bin out of GH10N_EF08.exe.

"Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update"

My guess is that the updater utility is not compatible with your Windows version, or it's not for your specific drive model. In any event, you should never "blindly" update anything unless you know it will fix the problem. Details of what the update fixes should be on the page from where you downloaded it.