My Custom PC has melted 2 intel air coolers. Need water cooling.

PCANIMATOR

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Greetings Forumites!

I ordered a custom PC last year and have had 2 air coolers breakdown. I'm on my third. Since I do a great deal of HD video editing and my twin sons use Adobe CC, auto desk Maya, Corel Painter and other audio and video intensive software for Animation I need your help.

My Rig:
Micro Express 79B built on 9/13/2012
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer case 9"w 20.6"d 19" h
750 Watt Silentpower supply
ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard (LGA2011)
CPU INTEL Core i7, 3960X 3.3GHZ
64GB DDR3 Corsair memory
Intel Air Cooler
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD
WD 2TB 7400rpm 64MB cache
Super Multi Blu Ray Burner
EVGA NVIDIA GFORCE GTX 680 2GB
LOGITECH Keyboard and mouse
Microsoft OFFICE 2010 PRO
Extended Warranty 4 years

I need a water cooling system for the system. I need you to research the case at a couple of different websites that reviewed it and then pick out a suitable water cooling system for the case. I have about a 4 hundred dollar budget.

Thank you so very, very much!

Eddie

jcol87

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
yes, what exactly is happening? are they visibly overheating or is the temperature reading while in the OS getting too high for you? did the fans break? did something actually melt?

check your power usage, there are apps that look at how much wattage the CPU is pulling and the temps for various tasks it could be a PSU issue, and not that you are pushing the CPU too far. do you overclock? if not, then there shouldn't be a problem, evne a basic overclcok should be fine on air cooling

where do you live? is it hot in the house already? if so, then definitely water cool

PCANIMATOR

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
I do not over clock. The temp reached 180. Now it's @ 100. I am not technical enough to do my own mods. I would consider putting in a top rated air cooler but I think I have to be mindful that I need a low profile one because of space limitations. I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I vacuum the front 4 filters every other day and clean the bottom filter every other week. We use the PC for games, minecraft, Cyberlink Director for video editing, and a Wacom Pro tablet for animation. Finally, there is a ton of Animation software and audio software for Animation. My invoice says PC has Intel Active Hydro Cooling.

jcol87

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 280mm

your case should be able to fit this, it has 2 140mm fans and a very small attachment to the CPU, buy a good thermal paste too, i would also add a side fan to pull air out of the case at the top, and arrange the radiator for the cooler to pull cooler air in, i know that sounds weird, but the air inside the case at the top is going to be hot naturally from the heat rising

its better to pull cooler outside air in and then use a side fan to complete the circuit, maybe even turn around the rear fan to push even more cooler air in

those temps sound very high, but intel's stock cooler is clearly not meant for the heavy use of that processor, i think they include it because it works well for average users of i5 series and lower

you can always return it if the problem persists,

PCANIMATOR

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Donand Ironman,

I purchased this "sandy bridge" PC for my twin sons to use. I own a digital camera but do not know how to transfer pictures to this thread. How do I post .jpg photos and what size should I set the camera settings for. Right now it is set up to take 4" X 6" photos. I'll take the inside measurements for you later tonight as I am heading out with my family for Easter in about 5 minutes.

Thank You,

Eddie

PCANIMATOR

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
jcol87,

Thanks for your multiple posts. The fans never broke. Nothing ever physically melted. I live in lower NY so temperature is pleasant inside and outside this time of year. Both fails happened one after the other around Nov./Dec. 2013. The PC got real noisy inside and exterior of case was hot. My son checked the bios and saw we were in the red zone with temps at 180 F. Eventually the PC SHUT DOWN AND WOULD NOT RESTART FOR 6 hours. That was when I called Micro Express tech support and they diagnosed the problem, sent replacement and told me how to remove defective unit and replace it. They sent me a tiny plastic bag with a dab of contact paste.

What apps do I download to check my power usage? Please recommend high grade contact paste.

I have to read a bit more about my CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer case to see if your CORSAIR recommendation will fit.

One last item, originally the system came stock with a 650 watt PSU and I upgraded it to 750watts.
Should I get a more powerful PSU? I plan on upgrading the video card to 2 EVGA NVIDIA GFORCE GTX 690 video cards once the heat problem is solved. I purchased the top of the line air cooler from
MicroExpress and they don't offer water cooling. I'd like to have everything done by the end of May 2014.

Thanks,

Eddie

PCANIMATOR

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
popatim,

I did not plan on being a stone cold CPU cooler killer. I think I need to make things ice cold inside the case. I hope this highly respected community can come to my aid.

Thank You,

Eddie

PCANIMATOR

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

I broke my right arm and need to get my brother-in-law over to take measurements, remove side panel, and take photos. I have a so-so point and shoot camera while Gene has the top of the line NIKON DSRL body with several high end Nikkor lenses. His pictures will do real justice once they are uploaded to Photobucket. I am truly sorry for the delay. I fell of my skateboard and damaged my arm pretty badly. My wife had to leave work and take me to The ER.

Sorry for the delay,

Eddie

TRENDING THREADS