My monitor goes black on startup and if I turn it off and on the screen comes on and goes blank again ?

Cliffg

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
I have an Acer AL1619W monitor which has started to blank out. When I start the computer it shows things for a few seconds and then it flashes and goes blank. It might do this a couple times during start up, but when the desktop is displayed and loading is complete the screen is black. If I turn the monitor off and on the screen appears for a second or two and then goes black. If I repeatedly turn the monitor off and on for between 5 and 10 minutes , it will finally start working and when it does you can see the image suddenly get brighter and then it stays on. I am not sure if the problem is with the monitor or the graphics card or what? The graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro. Can anyone suggest how to determine what is the problem. This started just when all the hoopla over Heartbleed was going on.

Cliffg

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
That is very possible and I wish there was a way to confirm it. This has been going on for over a week and like I said, turning the monitor on and off repeatedly it will start to work after 5 or 6 min.

traxxx

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Cant you test your pc behind a tv or something, to be sure it's monitor's fault. I'd guess that if your monitor has CFL lamps then either those are dying or the inverter is.