Best 1440p monitor for gaming?

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Hey!

So recently I have been really interested in upgrading my monitor. What I am looking for is a IPS monitor since it has amazing colors which would still be good for gaming. 1440p or even 4k would be great. I mainly play games like Battlefield and Total War, Wargame, Fifa, and similar other games. I know 120 hz is the best for FPS ,but I have heard that there are IPS monitors that can hit 100 hz or even 120 hz with losing only very little quality. Is this true? Can you really reach 100-120 hz using an ips?

At the moment, I don't have a budget, first I just want to see what I can get to get as close as possible to my "wants". 2K would be better than 4k since I doubt my single 7970 OC could power 4k while getting a decent frame rate.

So what I am mainly looking for is amazing picture quality, 1440 x 2560, as high as possible refresh rate, and a reliable brand/ warranty service. No pirated brands please.

So far by browsing some forums I have looked at this http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor/dp/B00BUI44US.
The specs and reviews are pretty good ,but... can you overclock it to a high refresh rate without losing a lot of quality?

Please just post any recommendations.

Edit * Minimum bleeding.

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

Cool. Is that an IPS?

This is an absurd lie. Two 290x are way enough... not to mention Nvidia is choking at 4K because of bandwith and memory, but not AMD.

StormyIV

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
I would definitely agree with i7. I have the same monitor and I absolutely love it. The picture looks amazing, it looks so much nicer then my Samsung LED monitor. Its a 60hz IPS panel with a 5MS response time which has not cause any issues for me while playing battlefield or any other fps.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
I personally have a QNIX 2710... i bought it about a year ago from ebay... i paid like $309 shipped from fleabay.

Mine OC'd to 117hz... at 118hz it starts to get distortion... but some people have gottne them up to 144hz! it's luck of the draw.

The tools to overclock them are SUPER simple, and overclock.net has links for them. its literally someone really smart made an application that you push a few simple buttons and it's done.

the 2710 is based on samsung PLS panel... which is a slightly different tech than IPS... but same concept.

I love it... been playing arkham origins at about 90fps at 1440p with maxed settings with my 770 4gb sli setup... monitors work great as daily multitasking as well with all the screen real estate.

i couldnt be happier with mine.. if you cant tell

all of those cheaper 4k monitors only truly handle 30fps by the way... like the 'seiki' brand.
i think samsung is about to release a 4k that does 60fps for like $700.
but you do need 3 titans if you want to play at 60fps... 4k eats VRAM for breakfast and then some more for lunch

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

Can you overclock it to around 100 hz ? Either way I doubt it that I can press past 60 fps with a single 7970 OC at 2560 x 1440 ,but you know, I just want to make sure that if I want to overclock than I can.

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

Do you think that the QNIX could compete quality-wise with the asus?

lowriderflow

Distinguished
the QNIX is essentially a samsung... when it comes to quality, their panels are top tier. the thing looks brilliant. I'm typically critical of stuff... but i couldn't say enough good things about hte QNIX> mine has no bleed at all. (the stand is a bit of a process to remove, you have to open up hte monitor backplate.... takes 30 minutes start to finish)

Oddly enough, i have it sitting next to two ASUS VS238H-P monitors.
It looks just as brilliant as they do... but I do have a custom color profile on my monitor.
I'd say the QX2710 default settings are 'ok'.... again, overclock.net guys have easy peezy profiles to try out.

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

Ya the Asus I was talking about is the PB278Q... Anyways, reviews seem legit but the only thing that is making me hesitant is that it is not a very well known company and sounds like it is counterfeit so warranty and everything could be sketchy. Other than that sounds good and seems like a great price/performance ratio.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
sorry i half answered your question... let me put it this way... unless you're mega rich, I would not buy any 1440p monitor except the QNIX. I work in computer engineering... and I work from home 3 days a week... and I'm uber anal about enjoying my visuals.... so more or less I'm staring at it front and center 5 days a week with the two ASUS's mounted to either side... and i have no complaints.

oddly enough, i just saw they're actually selling for MORE these days than I paid for mine a year ago.
Either way... even at $350, life is good in the QNIX world! ;0

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

You are really persuading me here lol . Where do you think I could buy this in Canada for the best price?

lowriderflow

Distinguished
go to Overclock.net... people been buying these QNIX since they started leaking out of asia in fall of 2012!

yes, the warranty will be a hassle... b/c they'll make you ship it to asia on your dime, which wil be more $ than it's worth... if you ever have issue.

However, i bought mine on fleabay for $309 and got a squaretrade 3 year warranty for $35.... which if it ever dies, they pay for me to ship it to them, then they cover a new one or give me my 309 back

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

I actually found thishttp://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-2-27-Samsung-PLS-WQHD-Monitor-Tempered-Glass-/121089977041?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c31866ad1&_uhb=1 . VERY GOOD PRICE. I mean this thing is $300 cheaper.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
buy it on ebay/amazon thers also a few other PC parts comanies that sell them. i'd buy on ebay for the squaretrade warranty.

I'm that happy with mine that I'm on here promoting it to you without any compensation. lol.
they should be paying me!

but seriuosly.. 1440p is awesome... i had a 7950 xfx black crossfire setup running it last year when i first got it... so you'd want another 7970 to really bang out those FPS! but even if you dont have a 2nd gpu..you're future proof for years

Got two Qnix's, both do 100Hz, neither have any dead pixels, one had more backlight bleed than I liked, took it apart and fixed most of it. Came from one of those 120Hz Asus 3D monitors, theres obviously more motion blur but I tested them side by side and couldn't feel any difference in input lag. Overall super happy I went with it.

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

That looks awesome but $800 price tag is a bit high and g-sync is something I can't use with my 7970. I mean on $800 I would get a 290X...

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

Even without using the G-Sync feature it is still the best 1440p monitor possible. I myself use a 1440p Yamakasi Q270 and love it for gaming. It just turned 1 years old in the beginning of April and runs like the day I got it.. 0 zero dead pixels, excellent back with good uniformity, and no cosmetic or hardware flaws. I game like 10 hours a week on it playing CS:GO, Grid 2, Titanfall, and Battlefield 4. I over clocked it to 90Hz, but went back down to 60Hz because I heard that damages the monitor and puts it at much higher risk and did not want to chance it because Korean monitors don't exactly have the "best support" haha. :)

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

Oh cool. If I recall correctly, Yamakasi, Shimian, QNIX, and overlord are all the same deal right? All of them provide the same thing except I'm not sure which one would offer the better monitor....hmmm