Older Intel i5 Quad Core vs. Newer AMD A4 Dual Core

-=Random Poll=- Are you celebrating Easter or 4/20?

• Easter

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 4/20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a robot. I know nothing of your zombies or egg laying, furry, hopping mammals.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deafmidget

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
So here is the setup.... I am seriously on the fence and about to try the build out just to "feel" how it stacks up....but I could use some input from people who have already tried this and have experience in the matter, as I am sure there are plenty of.

So here is my current build:

Intel i5 750 - Quad Core 2.6ghz (no integrated graphics on chip)
Asus P7H55-M Pro Motherboard
16GB(8x2) PC10666 1333mhz DDR3
Nvidia GTX760 2GB SC (EVGA flavor)

....any more specs are pointless, as they do not have anything to do with my question....

Alright, so that is my current build..... I am concidering replacing my mobo and CPU with one of the newer AMD chips and an MSI board.....those being:

AMD A4 5300 3.6ghz Dual core (CPU+APU....Trinity core, Radeon 7480D)
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Motherboard

Ok, so there is the setup.... my question is, will i get a performance boost from the newer features on the AMD chip and MSI board..... or will the quad cores on the 4 year old Intel chip and the decent older ASUS board win with it sheer power?

Anyone ever try this exact thing or something similar? Thanks for reading!

Will add links and comparisons as I do them... which is happening,.... nowish.

deafmidget

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

I understand that if you run the comparison, on paper the i5 is the clear winner.... but have you actually ran both processors, personally?

I'm curious about real world experience with this situation and what the real difference in ability to multitask and FPS rates (OC'd or not) from live testing.

Thanks for input either way.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

It's not just on paper, just look at any benchmarks. Or even gameplay videos for that matter. There's no question about it, your 4 year old cpu still out performs a newer A4. The a4 wasn't meant for gaming at all, and is often used for office builds, or just basic computer use.

Personally I run an A6 5400k and a 9800GTX+ and the a6 is bottlenecking the card. Anyways I'm upgrading to a athlon x4 740 and a HD 6850 in a few weeks, so for gaming do not get an APU.

The old i5 you have is the bottleneck of your system, and a cpu/ mobo upgrade to an FX 8320 or 6300 would be your best option if you're on a budget.

deafmidget

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

Awesome response. Thanks for the info.... i just don't have enough real life experience, nor have I done enough research to have felt comfortable just going along with my gut instincts, so your response helped to sway me in another direction altogether.

I believe that I will now take the A4 and MSI board and build a seperate rig with a GTX285 that I have laying around.

Thanks again, and hope this thread helps anyone else that was wondering, like I was.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

No problem, but if you already have a GPU do not get an A4, as it isn't that powerful. If you're on a tight budget get one of intel's haswell celeron processors such as the Celeron G1830.