Will 4K Samsung U28D590D play games on Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GV-N78TOC-3GD

yogafrog

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Hi Members,

I have pre-ordered a 4k Samsung monitor on Newegg and it is due shipping on 25th April, but was reading online that the 3GB VRAM might not be sufficient for 4k monitors.

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GV-N78TOC-3GD

My primary use will be gaming and some hobby video editing/Maya 3D

Kindly let me know if I should cancel and go for a 1440P IPS panels and wait for next iterations of 4k Monitors and 780TI on SLI (Also currently this monitor does not support G-Sync)

If needed, rest of specs are: i7-4930k, 32gb RAM, 240GB SSD,

Thanks,
Yogafrog

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Personally, I would wait on 4K for a while longer. GPU's need to catch up on power, 4K prices will continue to fall, and 4K tech will advance.

The 3GB could definitely be a limiting factor, but even more so the actual power of the 780 ti is not enough for 4K. A 780 Ti averages around 30fps on Ultra @ 4K in BF4 for example.

dovah-chan

Honorable
I wouldn't bother with 4K at all right now. I really don't see the point of going up to 4K at all other than saying you own a 4K display. Although they probably said the same thing about the hop from 720 to 1080 and look where we are now. Just wait and be patient the GPU gods will answer our prayers and capitalism will take its course and once 4K becomes common its prices will go down greatly in probably a year or two.

Also if you've really got that kind of budget I'd shoot for a Dell U2713H (absolutely wonderful monitor to die for) or one of these (crossover has the best quality control of all the white market korean monitor makers and are usually pretty good)