UPS Crackling/Arcing Sound

LordOfDeath121

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Is it normal for a UPS to make a quiet crackling sound inside it?

I have a Socomec NETYS PE 650 VA UPS and I noticed last night that it is making a quiet crackling sound. I can only hear it when my head is close to it.

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
No that's not safe that can potentially severely damage your system or worse cause a fire down the road. I'd shut down remove and replace the PSU

LordOfDeath121

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

Sorry if it has caused some confusion, but you have written PSU in your reply. I'm talking about a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) that my PC and monitor were plugged into, not the PSU (Power Supply Unit) built into my PC.

I've already disconnected the UPS in case it is dangerous.

LordOfDeath121

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks. I've contacted the supplier I bought it from and they are contacting their supplier for more information on this.

My supplier said that this is normal since it happens with all the other UPS they have sold, but they are contacting their supplier to find out for sure.

LordOfDeath121

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

So you're saying that the crackling noise is normal? I know the humming noise is normal, but I was unsure about the crackling noise.

It depends on the UPS. My old Smart-UPS 1000 has some crackling and quite a bit of humming, but my newer Smart-UPS 1500 is much quieter. Your UPS is inexpensive and you can't expect it to be as quiet as a high quality unit that costs 10 times more, but based on your original post, it sure is better than my old Smart-UPS 1000. If you're worried about the crackling, get yourself a new Smart-UPS.