• i5-4570

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • AMD-8350fx

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

james0014

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Hey, looking to build a computer for stock trading not really gaming. I run about 9 different charts at a time.
Im new to this and building my first PC, so far I have an ASUS gtx 670 video card.

Can one of you guys educate me on which is better for my purposes between the i7 2600 vs i5 4560 vs AMD 8350fx? And maybe which you would recommend between the three? Budget doesn't really matter cause from what I found they are all about the same price, just wondering about the quality and performance comparisons.

Thanks a lot guys, James.

theadler

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
These two Intel CPUs have nearly the same performance in benchmark tests, but the i5 has better thermal properties. The i5 also out performes the fx-8530 in both respects.

james0014

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks Guys! I got my answer. Because I am on a budget and not HEAVILY gaming just running a stock chart program I opted for the AMD :)

james0014

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

Thanks bro. Thats what I've researched it. Yea the 4770k is better is some aspects but for the price of an AMD fx 8350 and for my purposes I think its the best CPU for me right now.

Get the i5 4570. You'll pay in electricity bills for the AMD (especially if it's overclocked), around $30 more a year. The i5 will outperform the AMD in almost every task, just not in INTENSE multitasking, and even then, the i5 is not far behind at all.

AMD's tech is like a huge fat sumo guy to take on a small, powerful, and skillful Bruce Lee. Haha sorry for that, but it is very true. You won't regret going intel.

Good luck!

In the end it's your decision:

i5-4570
*Much faster at most games right now
*Uses lot less power (it does add up on your bill)
*Ability to upgrade in the future (5th Gen i7, etc.)

FX-8350
*Slower at games now, but likely will get better taken advantage of
*Better at intense mulittasking
*Ability to upgrade...? Not sure. (Possibly a dead socket)
*Uses considerably more power... ($30-$40 a year)

I think that the better choice would have to be the i5. Most benchmarks have the i5 leading the FX-8350 leading by a considerable measure, besides video encoding and tasks that use many threads. In raw computing and gaming, the i5 takes the lead.

Even when the FX-8350 is using EVERY thread, the i5 is not far behind at all. You really cannot go wrong with the i5. It will save you money in the long run, provide a better path of upgrade-ability, as well as give you better performance in most tasks.

Hope I could help with your decision!

The Xeon is very nice because it is hyperthreaded. You lose the GPU (hah for what that's worth) but you do get a good jump in performance that brings it closer to i7-class and would make multitasking more comparable to an FX.

The Xeon is $60 more than the 4570 right now on Newegg, and I am not quite sure it is worth that cash, but if you plan on giving it more multitasking, and if you really want to have the best performance, it is worth the $60.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

youre right about the price, but on pcpartpicker its showing the i7 2600 as ~$400 :p

Passmark 8.0
z3es.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img855/5489/z3es.jpg

this is my FX 8320 at stock (4.0Ghz turbo)...the i5 4670k at stock is far behind, granted overclocking will help tremendously. But the 8320 can be overclocked too. so moot point. The FX 8320 trades blows with the i7 4770k, but is obviously ahead of the i5 when it comes to "raw compute" . gaming is not quite raw compute, and thats where intel shines. But for the heavy multitasking i would say FX or the i7/Xeon for hyperthreading. and the performance of hyperthreading can be hit or miss so it would really be a specific side by side thing to test, for you. hard to say otherwise.

if power is expensive where you live, and you use the computer a lot and leave it on overnight,then consider the intel
because its more efficient .

for me i have my FX 8320 at 4.3 Ghz OC with turbo enabled still. C6 state power consumption is enabled in the BIOS. It idles at 800Mhz (low power consumption) and normal use it sticks around 1.5Ghz, a bit more stress itll bump some of the cores up to 3.8 and under full load theyll all hit 4.3Ghz.

To me it feels like ive perfected the fine tuning so im happy with it. i regularly put the computer to sleep and leave it off at night so the power consumption doesnt worry me greatly.

Now if you really want to save money on your power bill, unplug your DVR cable box at night (things a friggin vampire)

Very valid points, and I have to agree with a lot of it. Really, I don't think you could go wrong with any three of these, but I stand by my recommendation of the i5-4570. There is no need to overclock to get good single thread performance, and there is no need to take extra measures to conserve power -- it just does it all already excellently, out of the box.

I agree with you. Beezy, and for you that sounds awesome and very fun, but if you aren't decoding videos and running huge multi-thread loads, the i5 is definitely the better choice.

and you might be right, we cant be certain how his graphs or programs or whatever will run though. these CPUs are all so high end i cant see them dissappointing in any regard outside of benchmarks. the real world difference is negligable and minute.

For me yes, its all very fun tweaking the FSB and playing with the unlocked CPU multiplier. fascinating stuff. And for 3d modeling and renders the FX 8230 has not disappointed yet. paired with my HD 7870 ive never had a problem with any gaming either. DX12 might be some time away, but it is written from scratch for cores baby! hopefully hyperthreading gets in on that action too (i know it doesnt work exactly the same way as the FX ALU setup though)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Find a way. Save an extra few weeks, mow a few lawns if that's what it takes to stretch the budget. Get the Xeon 1230v3. It has all the multicore advantages of the AMD CPUs and all the single thread advantages of the Intel CPUs. And in a couple years when the spreadsheets are a thing ofthe past, it'll still be upgradeable to the next gen xeons or Broadwell, whereas its more than likely the AMD am3+ has come to its peak...now.

shnuhh

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Yes, the 4570 will save more money, but it will struggle with higher end gpu configs as it isn't overclockable

james0014

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for all your help guys! I decided on the FX-8350. I will be running a heavy Stock charting program for my business :)

and it should do wonderfully

update: make sure you get a 6 or 8 power phase motherboard because 125W TDP is a lot