TP-Link Launches N600 Entertainment Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I don't see the point of muddying their lineup like this; while having gigabit ethernet ports may be a little more expensive, it shouldn't be so much that you couldn't just have that as the only model, and give it access point options in its settings. Bridging and extending WiFi is a losing battle anyway though, you may as well buy PowerLine adaptors (which TP-Link do as well) and wire everything up, then setup only a centrally located WiFi router for any mobile devices, or more than one if necessary, but either way with PowerLine handling the bulk of the traffic as it's as convenient as setting up WiFi, but so much more reliable.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I don't see the point of muddying their lineup like this; while having gigabit ethernet ports may be a little more expensive, it shouldn't be so much that you couldn't just have that as the only model, and give it access point options in its settings. Bridging and extending WiFi is a losing battle anyway though, you may as well buy PowerLine adaptors (which TP-Link do as well) and wire everything up, then setup only a centrally located WiFi router for any mobile devices, or more than one if necessary, but either way with PowerLine handling the bulk of the traffic as it's as convenient as setting up WiFi, but so much more reliable.
That powerline stuff is worse. Anyways it is 2014 it is no longer 2006 wireless can be used fine now no longer is there a need for a bride either.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013

Care to prove that? I have a dual band WiFi router that I can still barely connect to in a relatively small house, largely thanks to pretty much everyone in my street also having wireless routers (many of which are dual-band, so much for 5ghz being less cluttered) meaning that even when I do get good signal strength, packet loss and the resulting latency are still an issue. Meanwhile with 200Mbps PowerLine I get much better, more reliable speeds. Wireless is clearly better for my phone, tablet etc., but for anything that doesn't need to move, an ethernet cable to a PowerLine adapter is zero inconvenience for better results.

I'd still consider using just ethernet if I could, but with the floorboards in my house all seemingly running in completely different directions, some screwed down, some tongue and groove and some plain, drilling holes to get a huge cable through my house just isn't appealing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.