Setting up third screen on Asus with only one HDMI and one USB port

alhollin

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hi guys,

I have an ASUS laptop that has only one USB and one HDMI port. Currently I am using a second Acer monitor and have it connected to the laptop via the HDMI port so I can use a multi USB outlet for my mouse, keyboard, etc. The ASUS screen is very small and I would like to utilize my other extra Acer monitor as either a third screen or just a second screen (therefore not using the laptop screen anymore). The Acer monitor that I want to hook up has the VGA and DVI-D. I haven't tried to purchase any cords but I feel like the extra monitor won't work if I simply get a USB to VGA cord and connect in my USB multi outlet (Staples brand). Does anyone know if in fact this should work or if I need some kind of splitter?

Solution
You need a usb graphics adapter. These come with outputs for the various display types (ie - make sure you get a vga or dvi version) and some are only good for text type business graphics so read reviews carefully of what they are capable of. Don't expect to do 3 screen gaming.

popatim

Titan
You need a usb graphics adapter. These come with outputs for the various display types (ie - make sure you get a vga or dvi version) and some are only good for text type business graphics so read reviews carefully of what they are capable of. Don't expect to do 3 screen gaming.

Solution