Trying to build a mid range gaming pc

Polydoros Manitsas

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hi guys ,

I'm really looking forward to buy a new pc that will allow me to play most games (old and new aswell) on at least high settings.

So with my few knowledge I came up with this build :

CPU: AMD FX8350
MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
GPU: Asus AMD Radeon R9 270X DirectCU II Top
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM550 550W Gold/Modular
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB SATA3

All these cost about ~700 euros
Notice that I already have an ATX (I think?) tower and a 23'' 1920x1080 monitor.

So , I have a few questions :
1.Is this cheap MOBO going to bottleneck the whole system ?
2.Is this PSU (550W) enough to power the system , or it 'll hold me back from OC'ing in the future?
3.Should I consider any aftermarket cooling solutions or the stock will be enough (no OC)?

So please give me your ideas ,whether I can replace a part or two and answer my questions .

numanator

Honorable
1. The motherboard would not hold you back too much but it is not great for overclocking and does not have SLI support.
2. I would recommend a different power supply, 550w is enough but the Corsair RM series is not great quality for the price. What website would you use for parts? I can take a look and find a better quality power supply. As a general rule: Seasonic & XFX make great PSUs, Corsair AX/HX/TX series are very good, Antec (most except basiq) are good. A good 550w would be enough for a gtx 770 but I would go for a 600-650w for any of the high end cards.
3. For no OC, the stock cooler should be fine but tends to be loud.

Polydoros Manitsas

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.
1.Do you have any good mobos to suggest? (within the price range of 100 Euros and below).I wasn't thinking about Crossfire but I would definitely want to be covered just in case
2.Unfortunately the site I'm bying from doesn't have English language support so you might give me some names of good PSUs and I will check them.
3.I wouldn't mind a bit noise as long as most games run perfectly smooth at least in high settings .

So the build itself with few changes should cover my needs as a gamer? I really want to play games on their highest settings (I.e. Skyrim , Battlefield 4, DayZ , Crysis3 and games to come in the future) and I might throw in some HD streaming as well.

numanator

Honorable
1. For the mobo, you could stick with what you have, it does have crossfire support just not SLI. Since you are not overclocking there is not any problem (the mobo would handle OC decently). Good OC boards are probably over 100 Euros (over $100 USD for sure).
Some other decent mobos in your price range are:

Asus M5A97 R2.0 - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a97r20
ASrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970extreme3r20

2. Good power supplies to look at are Seasonic, XFX, Antec, Corsair HX/TX/AX (AX/TX are pretty expensive). I am not sure of availability in your country but Seasonic is available in most countries and make the best quality power supplies.

Also, take a look at this link and choose a power supply from tier 1, 2a, or 2b. Tier 3 is ok, but I stick to the first 2 tiers.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Performance wise you will have not bottlenecks with the cpu. The 270x performs on par with the gtx 760 (which I have) so I can tell you from experience that it will handle the games listed really well. I play skyrim with a ton a mods (ENB, texture packs, etc.) and it runs it pretty flawlessly. On Battlefield 4 multiplayer you will probably be playing at high to sustain good framerates, Dayz would probably be high as well (mainly due to bad optimization) and Crysis 3 would be high also (BF4 and Crysis 3 are still the most demanding games out right now). You could probably play at ultra but I prefer constant framerates over a little bit more detail.

Looked up the benchmarks for BF4:
High Detail - 58-70 FPS
Ultra Detail - 30-35 FPS

Personally, anything over 30 fps is good for me, so your build should work great for what you want.

Polydoros Manitsas

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Thank you very much .You surely covered every questions I had and I am grateful for that !