How likely would you buy a used Mining card?

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I've been browsing some used mining cards for possible purchase as an upgrade and thought I might as well ask and see what the community thinks of buying a used gpu a la R9 290 etc. in mining rigs.

Likelihood of failure, RMA issues, would you do it personally? is it worrisome aside from obvious "used" issues. Fire away!

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Depending on the price I would probably buy one.

Many people thought they would make some easy money mining and then realized it was actually a waste of money so they are trying to get rid of their rigs after a couple of months (or less) of unsuccessful mining.

TechCIDLC might be right about the GPU being intensively used but I play up to 8 hours a day and have been using every one of my GPUs (which get upgraded) for at least 2-3 years each and haven't had a single one die out of being used. (imagine 3 years x 365 days x 5 hours average per day ≈ 5500 hours of gaming is much more than a couple of months of mining).

Plus if the GPU you are buying still have warranty left then you can RMA it and get a replacement - mining doesn't void warranty afaik - you are nod doing some hardware modifications to your GPU.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

Good points.

TRENDING THREADS