Sign in with
Your question

SAS vs SATA

Last response: in Storage
April 22, 2014 5:24:43 PM

I have a complex computer system, In short I am a archiver... I have mounds of data stored on multiple drives which makes it easier to organize my installed files and keep my OS install separate... well on to the question... I have some 10 TB of information stored on sata 7,200 rpm drives, I have been researching the 10k and 15k drives and am intrigued enough to acquire a 15k drive but sadly it seems to only come in sas, as far as I can tell sas are intended for server computer use, and the only way to connect them to a personal computer is via an adapter. I want to use a 15k sas 600GB HDD for my OS drive in an attempt to run my applications and file transfers faster, I also have a server that I run on my OS drive... all that being said will I experience decrease performance using an adapter? will my programs and file transferring be faster? well I probably wont get any file transferring change, merely a possible speed increase for the programs I am hoping... Is it worth it?

More about : sas sata

a c 878 G Storage
April 22, 2014 5:50:58 PM

Harddrive speeds only affects load times.
As you realized File transfer speeds are limited to the speed of the slowest part of the chain, usually your internet speed.
Unless your programs are doing alot of reading & writing to the drive then they will only work fast by getting a faster CPU.

As for will a SAS adapter slow you down. That depends on which adapter you get.
a b G Storage
April 22, 2014 5:59:41 PM

Greetings, from a fellow archiver.

In general SAS controllers work with SATA and SAS drives. SATA controllers only work with SAS drives. You say You can get an adapter. I assume this plugs a SAS drive into a SATA controller. I do not think that would do good things for performance.

Have You considered a PCIe SAS adapter card?

Have You considered using a SSD, as it will be faster than a 15k SAS hard disk for most tasks?
Related resources
April 22, 2014 9:37:50 PM

popatim said:
Harddrive speeds only affects load times.
As you realized File transfer speeds are limited to the speed of the slowest part of the chain, usually your internet speed.
Unless your programs are doing alot of reading & writing to the drive then they will only work fast by getting a faster CPU.

As for will a SAS adapter slow you down. That depends on which adapter you get.

April 22, 2014 10:01:00 PM

well my processor is posted it's a fx-9590 8x 4.7ghz, my internet speed is clocked around 65 mbps down/ up is around 25mbps... ping is usually 10-13... but that is based on my isp and bill... my transfer rate is usually 1.0 (LAN)-1.3gbps (WLAN) I wasn't really worried about that, I am aware that the slowest part of the chain creates a bottle neck... so I decided I wasn't that concerned about that aspect... However I am still curious if the rpms of the hard disk will have a significant impact on the speed of the overall performance of my OS drive and the programs associated to that drive, and weather a adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) will affect the overall performance, when you say the load times are you referring to loading programs, executing tasks, or internet based stuff because seems to me that internet stuff would only be effected when dealing with the internet...

SSD I have heard have a diminishing return, I heard that they have something like 5 or 50 lifetimes of use where as a HDD has something on the order of 5-6 years... which sounds nice but the diminishing return I heard about suggests that every time your write and over write data you lose a percentage of disk space, and while in small denominations such as a 2GB flash card could go unnoticed for years something substantially bigger you probably notice a lot sooner... I don't know how true that is. If so I wonder how soon one would notice the deterioration of the drive space and how quickly it would become a problem, even if it's true the cost might be better then replacing your HDD every 6 years as opposed to your SSD every 25 years or whatever.

Sorry if I am being difficult I just like to have all the facts straight in my head before I make decisions... That is of course why I posted... thank you for the replies.
April 22, 2014 10:05:36 PM

Recycled said:
Greetings, from a fellow archiver.

In general SAS controllers work with SATA and SAS drives. SATA controllers only work with SAS drives. You say You can get an adapter. I assume this plugs a SAS drive into a SATA controller. I do not think that would do good things for performance.

Have You considered a PCIe SAS adapter card?

Have You considered using a SSD, as it will be faster than a 15k SAS hard disk for most tasks?

also I have heard PCIe SAS cards are expensive but I will look into it
!