my new build plan

lebdude

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
im currently researching about the PC i want to build soon and this is what i have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770
CPU cooler: (I think im going to stay with the stock one as im not overclocking my CPU)
Mother Board: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz (probably going to upgrade to 32GB soon after the build)
Power supply: Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W
Memory: 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive (600 MBps, 7200rpm)
Case: CiT Midi Mesh Gaming Case
GPU: Asus Nvidia GeForce GT 640 2GB
Wifi card: TP-Link TL-WDN3800 N600 Wireless Dual Band

im going to use this pc for video editing and some gaming. i was wondering if this setup is any good and if there is any issues with it...

lebdude

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

Hmm yeah I was thinking of the PSU, I have read some mixed reviews on it. Is the wattage okay?

What GPU do you think I should get? Something preferably not too expensive maybe 120 pounds

The PSU will get the job done. I have a 430mx and I run dota 2 on high settings without a hiccup however you can get a stronger unit and a unit that is more appropriate for your build.

For video editing as well I can say that a GT 640 won't get the job done. It's slightly better then integrated. If anything I would see if you could stretch to a AMD 260 or 270. I just don't feel you will be satisfied with a low end display card because essentially that its main use at that level display or multi display.

You may want to consider a h87 board instead you can save a bit by doing so since you aren't overclocking a 120-140 dollar motherboard can turn into a 80-100 dollar board just by changing the chipset.

I would get one of these two power supplies if you are on a budget as they are both well within the range to fit your bill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094
modular version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

lebdude

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Thanks a ton, you have helped allot. I think I'm going to stick with my motherboard as the difference between my board and the h87 is only 7pounds at the shop so I'm not losing out on much.

I'm going to go with the psu that you sent link of, the reviews of the Seasonic is better than the one I had in mind.

I was wondering if this is a good GPU or if it's over kill for my setup:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FOR0086/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1398462397&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

lebdude

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Sorry for my ignorance but what makes a good graphics card? I've, pretty much, based it on the gb's. I have been told that this isn't the best way of choosing a GPU

lebdude

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
I would want to play metro: last light medium settings and COD on high. I'm willing to spend 180pounds.

It's more then GB's its about processing power, memory speeds, stream processors cuda cores. The only thing memory will get you is the ability to handle higher resolutions without your memory being sucked up. The 640 is a display card its good enough to run a couple of displays and run photoshop without a hitch. Start running things like maya and after effects and your card won't be doing very much to help your situation.