Picking the Parts for My First Build - Your Advice?

mike-uh

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
For years I have stalked the forums of Tom's Hardware and have found your guy's knowledge extremely helpful, now I am officially posting my first thread :)

So I'm building my first computer and would REALLY love your guidance and feedback on the parts I've chosen.
-Are the parts compatible/will work well with each other?
-Is the case big enough to fit everything?
-Did I pick a powerful enough power supply?

Sure these are newb questions just want to make sure I do it all right :p And if there's anything else that catches your eye I want to hear it! I have yet to order the parts so will make any changes if I need to!

Below is everything I've chosen.

For reference: I will be using this machine mainly for Adobe Premiere, After Effects, future programs like Nuke, 3DS Max etc. and also some gaming (Battlefield 4, Splinter Cell Blacklist)

Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D12OBEU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Processor: Intel i5 4670k
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit
Graphics Card: PNY GTX 770 2gb
SSD: SanDisk Ultra Plus 256gb
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series HX 850Watt
Case: Cool Master N400 Mid Tower
Monitor: Acer 21.5 1080p
Drive: LG Internal Bluray Optical Drive
And then some cheap mouse and keyboard :D

Solution
Everything looks good if you have the money, but there are ways you could lower the cost without sacrificing too much performance.

To do
- go lower on PSU. XFX , Antec, Corsair, and Seasonic 700 watt PSU would do
- get 2x4GB RAM instead
- Get the Samsung 840 Evo 120GB and a HDD

Checkout the gigabyte GTX 770 windoforce 3x it should be cooler and quieter

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Everything looks good if you have the money, but there are ways you could lower the cost without sacrificing too much performance.

To do
- go lower on PSU. XFX , Antec, Corsair, and Seasonic 700 watt PSU would do
- get 2x4GB RAM instead
- Get the Samsung 840 Evo 120GB and a HDD

Checkout the gigabyte GTX 770 windoforce 3x it should be cooler and quieter

Solution

mike-uh

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks dude for the reply!! I'm looking into other power supplies....I just want to make sure I'll have enough power....from some reviews I'm reading on Amazon, a 750W might not give me enough wiggle room for possible o'c in the future..? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?