Pretend Money is No Object: Best Storage Config for Gaming?

NHDataHound

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
Recommend your optimum game performance layout. I'm currently toying with:

(C:\) Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Windows, Chrome, Office, Steam & Origin Clients
(D:\) Samsung 840 EVO 500GB: Game installations only
(F:\) WD Caviar Black 2TB: "Slow" storage

choucove

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
If we are pretending that money is no problem, I'd probably go with four Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSDs in RAID 10 off of an LSI or Adapted RAID controller with onboard cache, hehe. However, what you are looking at doing above is a pretty good suggestion as well and should be quite responsive.

NHDataHound

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

That's a fun one. Would that give a boost to real performance or mostly on benchmark speeds?

NHDataHound

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

Is there an advantage to keeping it all on one SSD or is it personal preference? I'd be interested if keeping it all on one big drive might be better than separating OS and game installs.

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014

It would be much safer if you put your OS and applications in one drive and separate data storage on another drive. In your case, I'd prefer having 250GB/500GB SSD for OS and Game applications and then a SSHD RAID for data access and storage if costs isn't a problem.

NHDataHound

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
.[/quotemsg]

It would be much safer if you put your OS and applications in one drive and separate data storage on another drive. In your case, I'd prefer having 250GB/500GB SSD for OS and Game applications and then a SSHD RAID for data access and storage if costs isn't a problem.

[/quotemsg]

Is there an advantage to separating OS & game applications? I see a lot of people using small SSDs for OS only.

Saberus

Distinguished
Want to really pretend money is no object?

PCIe based SSDs, anywhere from under 250GB to 10.24TB. Prices range from a few hundred dollars used to over one hundred thousand.