Computer running slow after upgrade

Marcusnad

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Hi I was just here to ask why my computer was running so slowly after an upgrade.
I used to have a hp aahd2-hy mobo with i7 3.4 ghz and 6 gig stock hp ram, nvidia GeForce gtx 670 2gb and an atx850 watt psu.

I have upgraded to a gigabyte z87m- D3hp mobo, i3 - 4130 3.4 ghz. 8
gig Kingston ram. and the same psu and graphics

What could be going wrong. It's meant to be a better computer but it's lagging a lot more in games it used to do good in. I had to upgrade due to the computer mobo frying and killing the CPU and ram with it. Please help. ~Marcus

Firstly, why did you go from an i7 to an i3? Though the i3 is newer, the i7 will perform much better.

And that motherboard is for an AMD CPU (socket FM1), how did you get an Intel i7 in that?

My reasoning for your lagging in games is that you have done a downgrade, as the processor is much worse then your previous i7, which modern day games need more then 2 cores to run best.

Marcusnad

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
My old motherboard came stock with an i7 into it and died 4 years later.it came right out of the shop like that no custom builds or anything.
The i7 that I used to have came with 3.4 ghz and 2 cores whilst my i3 comes with exactly the same as that so I don't see a reason as a downgrade it should be the same? I was on a budget of 500 bucks and as guy gave me a discount.
Thanks for the input though

what i7 is this? and with the i7 to i3, it's not just about the cores but the threads, I will assure you that the i7 will have at least 2 more threads, as a similar comparison to today, the i5 and i7, both have the same amount of cores, but the i7 has more threads, giving it advantages in many programs.

The reason why I am stating this, is because I am leading to the conclusion that the i7 is better then your current i3.

Marcusnad

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Thank you for the input it's helped me heaps!!! :) is this the right i7 to choose for gaming?

Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Quad Core CPU

yes, but an i5 4670 will perform just as good (which surprises people), for almost $100 less, it's when you don't game the i7 will be best, in this case the 4770.

the i5 is almost unnoticeable different to the i7 in gaming, but the i7 is more designed for the business work of things, with the i7 having 2 more threads which helps a lot in rendering.

Marcusnad

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Thanks heaps on this :) do u think this will stop the lag?

Marcusnad

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I'm a big dayz fan and I have a lot of other games that require good graphics such as crysis 2,gta Iv,arma, far cry 3 and the new tomb raider. they all run on extremely low settings fine but I used to run them at medium with no lag and high with small amounts of lag :/