First Time Overclocker - Anyone with similar specs and insight?

LB3

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
Firstly, I'm pretty conservative and skeptical of modifying stock settings but I'd like to OC my 4 year old PC. I have a very decent air cooled system with lots of air flow.

Basic specs: i7-940 @ 2.9Ghz (1.4V) and Corsair Dominator (3x2GB) @ 1600Mhz (1.65V)

Is there anyone with a similar setup that can provide insight and safe temps and voltages (I'll be overclocking entirely from BIOS)? I'd like to see ~3.4Ghz and ~2000Mhz.

I'm currently using CPUID-HWMonitor to monitor voltage and temps. Also, any suggestions on good loading and benchmark software?

Thanks.

Always like to see more people overclock, and could see your thread needed an answer;

First of all, welcome to the intel overclocking sector!

If you wish to start overclocking, it is best that you have at least a $20 CPU cooler, as the stock cooler is not good at keeping temps down, if you only wish to do a small overclock, then the stock cooler shall be fine. With the stock cooler, you should be able to get 3.3Ghz no trouble, with good temps, anything above, I highly recommend getting a CPU cooler.

If you have any other questions, just ask and we'll gladly help.

LB3

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks. Just tried OC and got BSOD after 15 minutes of BioShock. I think it's a memory issue (not enough). I'm looking to upgrade memory anyway. Temps were fine.