ASUS z87 bios clock freeze

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I'm posting this to get more publicity out onto the net as it seems ASUS has failed as far as i'm concerned.
Original posting based on this thread:
I'm getting frustrated.

I own a Z87-Pro with the same issue. It's been doing the clock freeze since I bought it, but haven’t RMA's it because it's not going to fix the problem.

I don't understand how or why ASUS can't re-produce this problem. I'm almost positive it's in every z87 chipset. It's not showing up for everyone until overclocking - which points towards power issue (like some of us have pointed out).

Back when I started following this forum, I had BIOS 9XX. Nothing worked to fix the issue. Finally, about two months ago, I never changed a thing, my clock never froze for almost two month. I then decided (stupidly it seems) to upgrade my BIOS to the most recent. Boom - first boot after the upgrade and setting my overclock settings, clock is frozen.

The only settings i've changed from default are: setting manual overclock - core multiplier sync - all set to 45 (base clk still 100), min and max cache is set to 44, and adaptive voltage set to 0 offset, and 1.33 overclock (so my total boosted voltage is @ 1.33). Also, I've saved these settings to a profile.

The last time (again yesterday) my clock froze was exactly the time my powered on my PC.

If anyone else is having this problem - why not give a reply. So far everything most people, including myself, has tried hasn't worked in the long run.

I will try turning off Windows Time update service talked about here but i doubt this will work.

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
ha, I have been having the same problem for 2 month's now and just lived with it ... but after trying to filter through the bios with it all corrupted is starting to get on my tits now tbh, What I don't understand is when you use onboard graphics the bios is fine but as soon as you put your gpu in the bios fecks up ???! I have the latest bios also using r9 290x

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

No one is really sure what causes it so far. It's pretty random when it decides to stop working. Last time for me my board had gone more than 2 months without a problem, but before then it was every week. Then I updated my bios and again. One thing I did notice is that the time stopped when I turned my PC on. So what I'm doing is tried to turn off Windows time sync to see if the problem still happens. It's tough to troubleshoot because everything might be fine for months, and you'll think it's fixed, then it will stop again.
Do you use any overclocking features of the z87 motherboard? Most of the other forums I've read it's people who do any sort of overclocking that are complaining about the problem, whether it's manual, or ASUS optimization, including me.

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I've turned off "windows time sync" and haven't had the clock freeze on me since the last post. I have played with some overclocking settings as well (only voltages a bit though). This is the longest it's gone without freezing, so i'm hoping this is a work around.
Windows time sync service syncs it's clock on Windows startup with the BIOS - I don't need Windows to do this. I also think it's a work around because I noticed that the last time it froze was exactly when I was turning on my PC and starting Windows.
I'll re-post if the clock freezes again.

eureka-3

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
Update for windows 7 x64 Systems (KB2998527)
Seems to solve my INCORRECT Time/Date problem that I have been living with for over 1 year
Hope this helps....