Can't find PCI-E Lock, therefore gpu stuck in motherboard. How can I remove the card?

IntelP4HT

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Quite a long time ago, I've installed a EVGA GeForce 620 in my old computer. I've just decided to remove the card. Not sure how to do it on this interesting motherboard. I apparently cannot find the release pin on the motherboard.

GT 620:
DSC_0271.JPG

No pin on this side. The black pin you see is actually for the heatsink fan on the GPU:
DSC_0272.JPG

I have no idea what that metal pin is, I pushed onto it, straight down, left, and right:
DSC_0273.JPG

I have expected the pin to look like this on one of my servers:
DSC_0276.JPG

This is the tower by the way:
DSC_0275.JPG

If anyone knows what I can do, what I already don't know, or what shouldn't I do, please post an answer. Thanks.

-IntelP4HT

They all are similar, but have you checked in the manual? Normally you would push it down while pulling on the GPU. If that doesn't work and there's no info in the manual, try to find out what motherboard you have or provide the model number of your system.

IntelP4HT

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Ah, yes. It is a Sony VAIO VGC-RB53. I've went onto Sony's website and found the manual here. It looks like they have only shown how to insert an add-on card, but not how to remove it. I'm not sure if the motherboard is a Sony board or a Intel board, as it is not listed. I can definitely remove it without pressing the release tab, but I would probably break the lock tab on the graphics card. Thanks for the quick reply.

-IntelP4HT

IntelP4HT

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
The only slots with locks are your RAM and full-length PCIe slots. In the first (3) pictures the 'blue' RAM slots and the PCIe where the GT 620 is and there I see the curved PCIe release just past to '0' in the '620.' In the 4th picture it's the white lever at the end of the yellow PCIe. There are several different types of releases.

The regular white PCI (not to be confused with PCIe) don't have release tabs.

In either case always unscrew the 'PCI' slots from the case before unlatching.