First cheap media centre build, need help/advice

Matthevv

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I am trying to put together a streaming pc for my living room. The only thing that will be done on it is stream movies/tv online and browse the internet. I wanted to build it as cheap as possible while still giving it enough power to stream 1080p hd video flawlessly.

This is my build so far: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3yoTA

How do you think it will perform for its intended purpose of streaming video? How well do you think it could run games and emulators? (games and emulators unnecessary but a nice bonus) Do you have any suggestions on parts? Am I forgetting to add anything? Is there any part that is not compatible? It is my first slim micro atx build so I am not sure if everything will fit.

Should I invest in some better cooling?

The case comes with a built in 300W power supply and storage space is not an issue.

popatim

Titan
switch to 1866 speed ram. Invest in a cooler mainly because the stock one is way to noisy plus its practically required if you want to overclock at all.
Will it stream - yes
will it play games - barely. Keep in mind this is a weak dual core. If you want to game a little at least upgrad to the quads; if you want to play at any setting above low to medium then skip the A-series and grab an fx6300 and a lowend dedicated GPU,

Matthevv

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014

By invest in a cooler do you mean the cpu cooler? I heard the top fan for the case is noisy as well. I don't know much about buying fans for my system. Is there something important I should be looking for, such as RPM? Or should I just buy any cheap fan and stick it on?

I am building this system for my Father who wants it primarily for streaming 1080p movies and tv shows. He is the one paying and wants it as cheap as possible. He does not care about gaming but it would be a nice bonus for my younger sisters to have. I have my own rig for real gaming.

I get that this machine would by abysmal at running modern games, however do you think it would be able to run gamecube/xbox/ps2 emulators? If my sisters will be able to run every gamecube game then that should be more than enough for them. Although older console emulators should run relatively easy, I am not confident about how well the ps2 emulator will perform.

you can do virtually the same system for cheaper though....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($65.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.65 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Sandisk 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($49.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Rosewill R379-M MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $287.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-26 00:04 EDT-0400)