Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice on Case Choice

Tags:
  • Cases
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
April 25, 2014 3:48:45 PM

Alright so after a few suggestions here is the case that so far has caught most of my attention...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011049ww

Now with that being said here is what I'm going for as far as specs an budget.

Budget: $300
Specifications
- Adequate Space for 2xGPU of any size
- ATX Form Factor Motherboard
- No LED Fans if Possible
- Glass/Plastic Side Panel (See Through)
- Bottom Mounted PSU
- Black in color / Accents of Green, Blue, Orange Only if possible (Not Red or any other colors)
- Space to hide wires Nicely
- Quality Brand
- No overkill of drive space as it's not going to be for storing tons of pictures or anything like that
- Top Mounted Fans of adequate size and Possible space for H100i CPU cooler but not needed
- Quality Removable Filters
- Easily removable side panel (No getting a screwdriver and all that mess)
- Weight doesn't matter so long as the case is durable an not cheaply made
- No extra designs on the outside just simple flat all around best as possible
- Extra Space for breathing room once all parts are within the case an installed.

Basically just want a simple clean design, black in color without an overkill of extra stuff I'll never use that will just become an eye sore. Though I do want room for a tiny bit of expansion. Example would be the H100i CPU cooler or 2 full size GPU's. Will be using either FM2 or AM3 model motherboards only.

Thanks to whoever comes up with some good ideas. Much appreciated!

More about : advice case choice

Best solution

April 25, 2014 4:13:20 PM

i would recommend getting the 750d over the 450d. you can get it for about $130 and it has a nice aluminum cover to go over the front fan ports so you wont see the dust rings that they will eventually develop in between cleanings. the 750d has tons of filters which block out dust and are easy to clean as well.

a few alternatives:

-thermaltake core v71
-nzxt h440 (only if you dont need an optical drive)
-fractal xl r2 (or the r4)

i'm currently using a 750d myself (you can see it in my signature link photos) and it was easy to build inside and has some good airflow.
April 25, 2014 4:49:00 PM

the 750d has 4 ssd mounting locations on the side so you could remove all of the bottom hdd mounts if you want similar to the 450d. i've seen the 450d and the 750d in person and to be honest i was not all that impressed by the 450d which is why i went with the 750d. dont get me wrong, its not a bad case but i dont think it can stand up with the 750d given the small difference in price.

if i remember correctly the 450d also felt a bit cheaper in build quality.

the addition of a faceplate to cover the fans is also a big deal. this is what the front of your case will look like if you have any sort of dust in the house.

on the 750d this is hidden by a faceplate so you dont have to clean it every day

the channel on youtube you linked does have some good reviews however he is also very picky so you need to take anything he says with a huge grain of salt.

having no optical bay is why i personally wouldnt get the h440 as you'd need to use an external drive for dvds. plus they are only 120mm intakes which really isnt better considering we have dual 140mm (like the 450d & 750d) and dual 200mm (like the core v71) intake models on the market.

another option is the phantom 820 however i'm not a fan of all the plastic used and the fact that if you want to use the bigger fans you must buy their own brand due to a nonstandard fitiment issue.

you are free to pick whatever case you want. just mentioning why i would use the flat fronted 750d over the open fronted 450d. i once thought the same as you that mesh fronts looked nice however after owning a mesh fronted case (lian li v2000b) and seeing the dust pile on and now having filters on the front of this case i know firsthand that its a bit more upkeep. if that doesnt bother you... then the 450d will work fine.

yes it is possible to use only ssds in your system if you want however using a ssd for boot and a large hdd for storage is the best for value/dollar.
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2014 4:18:31 PM

ssddx said:
i would recommend getting the 750d over the 450d. you can get it for about $130 and it has a nice aluminum cover to go over the front fan ports so you wont see the dust rings that they will eventually develop in between cleanings. the 750d has tons of filters which block out dust and are easy to clean as well.

a few alternatives:

-thermaltake core v71
-nzxt h440 (only if you dont need an optical drive)
-fractal xl r2 (or the r4)

i'm currently using a 750d myself (you can see it in my signature link photos) and it was easy to build inside and has some good airflow.

I just watched a review on the 450d an it has 2 SSD spots hidden behind the motherboard. Is it possible to use only 2 SSD's an not have any HDDs in the computer?

Going to search for a 750d review now on youtube an check that out as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: Found this guy on youtube that does excellent reviews on cases. Here is the 750d review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1X1ur2-LFg&list=PLknCN...

I have to say I kinda like the 450d more.

That NZXT 440 looks sweet but I have to ask how would I go about everything without an optical drive? What would be the best solution for installing an OS and other stuff.

m
l
April 25, 2014 5:02:54 PM

Well not sure if it's true but in his review he mentioned the 750d having that front plate cover would possibly suffocate the fans. Do you notice any of those issues? I guess the 750d would be the better option for me. Don't have a lot of dust in my house as the room I have my computer stuff in is only visited by me an has no carpet an is pet an smoke free.

What about the radiators that he showed for possible installation? Have you ever tried installing those into the 750d I'd like to have the H100i CPU cooler if possible. If the 750d can manage that than it's a win for me. I don't want a full water cooled system just the CPU.

Just answered my own question. Found a nice build with the 750d that has the H100i installed within the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anQpWx9-MJs
m
l
April 25, 2014 5:24:09 PM

honestly that is why i said to take his review with a huge grain of salt. some things he mentions are definitely worth mentioning while others are just guesses he has done without testing first.

there is a small space behind the front cover and also a ring of clear space all the way around it for air to get in. while perhaps more restricting than a completely full open case with nothing between the case and the outside air it really isnt any more restricting than that mesh front on the 450d. i still get plenty of airflow through the front. my first case was a mesh front and airflow seems similar.

sorry, i am running on 100% air cooled so i do not have any radiators. i use the bottom front for a hard drive cage anyways. you could probably mount a 2x140 mm radiator on the front panel though without too much issues. honestly front and bottom would have the same performance as its all cool air. if you put it on the front you could always go with just an intake on the bottom. the nzxt kraken x60 would be perfect for this since it has longer hoses (which you'd probably need to mount it anywhere near the front of a mid tower case anyways). you could put the cooler on the top spaces as well (agreeably its less efficient than on an intake but its not a huge hit) and you could use a shorter hose like on the corsair models easily.

oh and i'd also like to point out that some 240mm radiators do fit in the case front bottom. see here:
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_obsidian_7...
so perhaps the x60 or a corsair cooler would fit up there in the spot he said wouldnt fit.
m
l
April 25, 2014 6:43:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely have the 750d on the top of my consideration list as it has everything I need. Appreciate it!
m
l
!