I'm looking for a good motherboard to fit my build...

Mastermike32

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
My build so far

CPU: i7 4770k
CPU Cooler: None
Mobo: MI z87 g55 / g45 gaming / something else?
Mem: Corsair vengeance 8gb 2x4
Storage: 128gb sandisk ssd & Seagate 1tb 7200 RPM Hyrbrid HDD
GPU: MSI Gtx 770 4gb TF
Case: NZXT Phantom
PSU: NZXT HALE82 V2 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

So right now I am between these two motherboards from MSI

The z87 g45 gaming:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130693

and the z87 G55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130727

Now my question is which is better? The G55 is a higher model # but the g45 gaming seems to have more features?? Then the G55 says it supports 7.1 & 4K but does that mean the other one doesn't? It's a lot of information and I'm not sure what one to go with. One of the major reasons I was leaning for the G55 is just because of the color lol I know it's petty but I really wanted to go with the whole white and blue theme. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Mastermike32

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Well I don't have a 4k monitor and the way I understand it is Crossfire is only for AMD GPU's does that still make it better? Or do all of the gaming features make the G45 better? (Im still kind of wondering why it's more money than the G55...) I was happy with the G45 but I'm just not happy with the color...once I saw the G55 I was hoping it would be a model up with a couple of newer features but it actually seems like the G45 has a few more features. I'm just having a hard time determining which is better, or why the G55 is cheaper.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The g45 gaming will OC slightly better than the g55. Nobody uses all of the features on any given mobo, so if both have the features you personally will/would want, then the extras are moot. Don't have/plan on 4k or x-fire? Moot.

Basically it boils down to 2 things. 1) color scheme. 2) which will do the job you need it to do.
Since both will OC adequately well, and both have the features you want, and both will do the job you need, then the colors of the g55 better suit your build.

TRENDING THREADS