Is $1,210 a Fair Price for this set-up?

KrazyChris

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
My sales Rep has the set-up below saved for me, but I haven't ordered yet, so please tell me if $1,210 is a Fair or Ripoff Price (i've had some say its great, others say they can build much better for $1,210) The stated price covers parts,them building it for me, and shipping. Please Help:
AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz Eight-Core AM3+ Processor
AMD COPPER HIGH PERFORMANCE COOLING FAN
ZEROtherm Advanced ZT100 Thermal Grease
PROFESSIONAL WIRING
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G HDMI USB 3.0 uATX AMD Motherboard
8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Dual Channel (HIGH PERFORMANCE)
(2X) MEMORY HEAT SPREADERS
500GB 7200 RPM 16MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s
24X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW
nVidia GeForce GTX760 4GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI PCI-EXP Video Card
REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD
REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
DELUXE COOLING PACKAGE
VANTEC DELUXE CASE COOLING SYSTEM
THERMALTAKE 750 WATT HIGH PERFORMANCE POWER SUPPLY
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
3-Year Limited Warranty Plan with Lifetime of free USA based Support...Custom Hand Wiring For Ultimate Air Flow, Assembled in Cleveland, Ohio, USA
FED-EX GROUND SHIPPING (1-7 BUSINESS DAYS)

Solution

GPU upgrade definitely the choice if you can wing the extra money. There's a point at which you get diminishing returns from GPUs (unless you upgrade to a multi-monitor solution, etc)...

USAFRet

Titan
Going through pcpartpicker, that selection of parts comes up to about $800.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3yLKs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($151.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.20 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB ITX Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $791.62
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-26 08:37 EDT-0400)

EDIT: oops....I linked the 2GB CPU instead of a 4GB GPU.
Revised price = $821

KrazyChris

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Right, sounds good, but what about all the cooling im getting, i think if u add all the cooling parts im getting, it would jump up to about $1,200, and does PCpartpicker build the PC for you? Thank You very Much for Your Help!!!!

USAFRet

Titan

The "VANTEC DELUXE CASE COOLING SYSTEM" is just a couple of fans that run off a PCI slot.
VANTEC DELUXE CASE COOLING SYSTEM
$50.
Absolutely not needed!

You're paying $350 for them to spend a couple hours putting it together for you.

No, pcpartpicker does not build it. It is just a list of parts, the lowest current price, and where you can buy them.

KrazyChris

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Thanks for advice, I'm also paying for that AMD Copper Fan, it doesnt come with it, its a more powerful fan and the professional wiring is extra too....reason for all the cooling, is that I've had a few people say, if not water cooled, then "MORE FANS MORE FANS MORE FANS!" Especially if your gonna be gaming for hours and hours, maybe even days non-stop like me lol. This is a Gaming PC for BF4 and hopefully Watchdogs and DayZ as well. I thanks you for your help, BTW I went to other sites (like CyperPowerPc) and the exact same build was like $100-$200 more than it is through ComputerLX. I cant build the computer, i have no skills whatsoever :( Thanks Again!!!! P.S. your opinion on the ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch Screen LED-lit 144Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor im getting for $263?

USAFRet

Titan
"more fans" is not always the answer. Efficient cooling solution is the key. You have to bring in cool air, and remove hot air.
That VANTECH thing merely blows air around inside. It may (or may not) help. It may make things worse...:pt1cable:

Without an actual link to that "AMD Copper Fan", it's hard to say what it adds. But a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO will almost certainly work as well or better is only $30.

And aftermarket cooling is only really necessary if you're going to overclock. But the CM 212 EVO is better.

'Professional wiring'? Some 19 year old new kid slapping parts together.

Additionally, that PSU may be 'OK', or it may be absolute crap.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

These builders have to cut corners and prices somewhere. The PSU is a typical place to do that.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
In reality, "professional wiring" from a place like this essentially means you've paid them for the same wiring you can do easily. And the "AMD Copper High Performance Cooling Fan" is likely a small upgrade from the stock one, not one of the higher performance ones.

Now, if you're happy, you're happy, but you are in fact paying a 50% premium and we'd be negligent if we didn't point that out.

The monitor you're quoting is a bit of a waste - the PC you're building just isn't going to be able to put out the FPS on BF4 or Watchdogs (no benchmarks, but this is almost certain) to take advantage of the higher refresh rate.

KrazyChris

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
LMAO "Some 19 year old new kid slapping parts together." Your killin me man, im already stressed out to death, so im picturing that, instead of my vision of 5 scientists in lab coats putting it together for me! Just kiddin, but the AMD Copper fan goes for $35, and that Power supply is about $60-$80 (i hear mix reviews about ThermalTake products) and your opinion on that motherboard? I might be able to invest an extra $100, and if i can, Would you upgrade that motherboard to the Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX Motherboard, or upgrade the GPU to a GTX770 4GB?

KrazyChris

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Thanks for advice DS, but I cant build this myself, and I cant find a site that will build for less. I didnt know that about the monitor either :(, but I do know a guy that just got the exact same PC, except his vid card isnt as good, and hes playing BF4 at 100-120FPS on Ultra, or i she just lucky, and i wont experiance that?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I have extreme doubts that your friend is getting 100-120 FPS on Ultra in BF4 with a sub-760 GPU.

bf4-fr.png

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

GPU upgrade definitely the choice if you can wing the extra money. There's a point at which you get diminishing returns from GPUs (unless you upgrade to a multi-monitor solution, etc) but the 760 isn't. I would not want to spend over $1000 on a PC and not come away without a 770/280x or better.

Solution

KrazyChris

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Iv'e decided to take your advice and throw another $100 in it and get the Zotac GTX770 4GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI PCI-EXP Video Card, I went to hardware compare and the difference between it and the GTX760 4gb is HUGE!! Now to make one more Upgrade, would it be better to upgrade the 8320 8-core 3.5GHz to the 8350 4GHz? Or upgrade that ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+ motherboard to the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard, remember, im trying to pull as FPS outta BF4 as I can and get best performance, THANKS for your Help guys!!!