Best gpu type cooler for a open test bench type setup.

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014
I have saved up enough money for a high end build, but wondering what type of cooler should I go for if I choose to operate the pc in an open test bed type situation. ACX, Direct CU II or Windforce? Or should I be looking at reference blower type fans, as it's not case airflow dependent.

Just in case people ask me to get a case first, I am a student and will be leaving my current accommodation in a matter of months. Moving without a big bulky pc case, seems like a less challenging option. Looking at Nvidia 780s and 780tis with aftermarket coolers at the moment, as I would like my investment to run cooler and quieter.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Any cooler style will work the same in an open setup. It is not like a CPU cooler where it needs airflow. GPUs work fine with static air. For a quiet cooler I would look at a cooler with 2 large fans vs. 3 smaller ones. MSI has some good ones and the ACX coolers are very nice.

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014

Oh okay, thanks for the advice. Duly noted :)

No problem. I usually buy blower style cards only as they are VASTLY superior in multi-GPU setups and even if I am buying one card, chances are in a few years I would end up buying another for SLI/CF as the cards get much cheaper. I just like to be ready just in case I end up with a second card. Not that other coolers are particularly bad for SLI/CF, but blower cards are better.

SquirrelPhantom

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

I second that. I have two MSI cards and they cool very well and I have heard great things about EVGA as well. SSA90, you would do well with these.

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014

Yeah it figures, SLI/CF configs with aftermarket cooler looks like an insane airflow situation. Hot air being blasted in each other's direction can't be good for maximising performance. SLI is super tempting for me, but there is this term which keeps popping up "frame pacing" which I am not too knowledgable about. As you are a SLI/CF user, would you say the impact this frame pacing has is noticeable even on a 1080p screen?

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014

Cheers man, considering to take the jump over the weekend. MSI and EVGA makes some sick cards if one can match them up with some nice mobos it would make one sick looking (not to mention performing) rig!

SquirrelPhantom

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I am an SLI user, I do notice the "frame pacing" but it's different for everyone. If you do go for SLI/CROSSFIRE in the future, make sure your PSU can handle it.

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014

okay, I see. I think I will buy a not too heavy on the weight, 500w gold for starter and a decent SLI motherboard like the G1 sniper. Swap the PSU out if I do decide to SLI. Picked up a corsair PSU at a local Maplins the other day, the box is quite heavy, never thought a PSU will be 3kgs alone.

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014

Clearly this micro stuttering is being exaggerated somewhat online then or it differs build to build drastically. I didn't buy the Corsair PSU, just picked it up in store literally to see how much it weighed haha.

Oh lol, yeah PSUs are heavy. Metal heatsinks and HUGE capacitors weigh alot.

And yeah, unless i recorded gameplay and played it back at 1/2 speed I couldn't see any micro stuttering. It is also game related. Some games it is worse than others. But really if it was as bad as everyone say it is, there would be WAY WAY less people with multi-GPU builds.

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014

Thanks learnt something new about corsair PSUs today haha, the XFX 550w unit is much cheaper too.

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014

Acknowledged.