Upgrading Gaming PC

Lumicko

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
-My Current build is: i5-2500k (OC 4.2GHz) , 2x Sapphire 6950 (2GB) - Crossfire... I dont think that crossfire is big improvement.. it just improves a few things , Win 7 (64 bit) , ASUS VG236HE 1920x1080 , Corsair TX850 V2 , CASE = CORSAIR 400R , MOB = Asus P8Z68-V , 8GB Ram and its CORSAIR 8GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Vengeance XMP Low Profile.
- I want to upgrade mostly because of upcoming Watch Dogs , Witcher 3 , The Division , Dragon Age... And I want to run them on high / maxed out graphics on very good FPS (60+).. So its pretty clear that my current build is just not strong enough
- Several ppl told me that my CPU is fine thus i dont need to upgrade it but only GPU. I think Im going to go GTX 780 Ti

And now I realised its not only because of upcoming games. Currently i have problem in planetside 2 / Dayz Standalone.
Made sure that CrossFireX is enabled in AMD Catalyst Control Center (Performance- AMD CrossFireX - Enable AMD CrossFireX). Even right clicked on Catalyst Control Center hovered over the first entry for the cards ("1. Radeon etc...") > navigated to "crossfirex settings" > clicked on "show crosssfirex status icon (where applicable)" to enable it.
Thus I have CrossFire icon in top right corner ( was in Planetside2 and Crysis 3 but not in Dayz Standalone )

Planetside2 - Supports CrossFireX
Low (no battle) = 110-140 fps
Low (battle) = 70-100
Very High (battle) ( and if possible Ultra) = 45-60 fps
Very High (no battle) ( and if possible Ultra) = 55-65 fps

DayZ Standalone - Doesnt Support CrossFireX
Low = 50-75 FPS
High (FXAA HIgh, AntiAliasing Very High , Texture Filtering Very High) = 25-50 FPS

Crysis 3 - Supports CrossFireX
Very High ( Antisotropic Filtering 8x , FXAA ) = 40-50 FPS
Low ( If possible all off ) = 120 - 140 FPS

Btw I have 1 TB HDD.. But its Not enough need to upgrade. Thus I will add another HDD.. I would go for 2TB ( 1TB mby wont be enought later) Currently I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
You know my MOBO its in the post. I think it has 6 SATA but not sure... I need to open Case and check (will do that later) but someone told me that it depends what all things I have plugged into it (power consumption).. You know my PSU.

Someone said on forums:
"i dont think the 880 is going to be a huge performance increase over the Ti, but it will hopefully be $200 dollars less. so depending on what you have now, spending something like $300 for now-performance, & then plan on $500 in a year or less for the 880, wouln't be a bad idea imo.
Considering that Nvidia just announced/launched a bunch of cards fairly recently so I don't see them undercutting themselves by releasing something a lot better so soon.
So yea I pretty much dont see any reason waiting for next cards

- 8 GB isnt enough for me.. Im running mostly on 70-80% usage of RAM :D ... ( browser with many pages + playing game :D ..)
- Im going to go with GtX 780 Ti. But which manufacturer?? Heard that EVGA is best = Ti Classified ACX / Ti ACX Superclocked / Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition ( This one.. sadly I think isnt availiable in my country right now... = im from Slovakia :D ) Is the 3 Gb memory enough?? I think so.. Im only on 1080p.
- What about mine CPU ?? I guess its strong enough
MOBO = Asus P8Z68-V can someone check if this mobo is enough for this GPU ?? If it will use full potential etc..
- Im using CORSAIR 8GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Vengeance XMP Low Profile ( 4x2 GB ) If I want upgrade should i get the same kit (4x2) ??? To have 16 GB ?? I think this one is rly good RAM right? Is the speed ok and so on?
- Confused about the GTX 790 or next cards...I dont want to wait that long... but im scared that I will regret it LOL.

-Thank you!

Dropdead777

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Wait for the gtx 880 its only like 2-3 months off and will offer 15-20 percent more performance over the 780ti plus more efficient and probably some new innovation built into the card. My guess the green team will release the 880 in June just like they have in the past with June being the release month for new cards. The extra vram on the 880 will also serve you well for future proofing.

Lumicko

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

I dont think so. Considering that Nvidia just announced/launched a bunch of cards fairly recently so I don't see them undercutting themselves by releasing something a lot better so soon...
Im going for the Gtx 780 Ti anyway.. I can get discount so It will be like 500+-... and I can mby sell my current cards thus it will be even cheaper!... Just need to know which manufacturer and version.. As I said above. And if my MOBO is good enough and will use full potential. And same about CPU! And dont forgot about the RAM

FIXED and TRANSFORMED / IMPROVED main post and EVERYTHING + ADDED ANOTHER REASON OF UPGRADE..MADE THREAD clear and should be now UNDERSTANDABLE.