DisplayPort adapter to fix Eyefinity screen tear?

winter azure

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Hey guys!

I have a little bit of screen tear on my left monitor (running DVI-D), it's not bad and I don't often notice it but it does bug me sometimes. My setup right now is 2xDP,1x DVI-D, and an extended desktop running HDMI. I got to thinking, if the screen tear is caused by my left monitor using a DVI connection, would buying an active DVI to DP converter fix this issue?

Since my GPU connections are limited to 2x mini-DP, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI-D, and the mini-DP's are already being used, I would need a converter that has a male DVI-D to female DP. Do these even exist? Would plugging an active male DP to female DVI-D converter into a passive DVI-D to DP adapter work?

That sounds confusing to read.. the second option would be DVI-D (on GPU) -> male DVI-D to female DP passive adapter -> male DP to female DVI-D active converter -> DVI-D (on monitor).

Thanks in advance for the reads and responses!

winter azure

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

They're all identical, 1080p, 60Hz, VA, and two are running native DisplayPort, the third is running dual-link DVI-D. There are 0 adapters involved right now. Wondering if perhaps using an active DP converter would stop screen tearing, since they would all be using DP. Probably not though, since it would still start out as DVI-D, but I figure it might be worth looking in to.