60 GB SSD for windows 8.1 Installation

miisterjm

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I'm plannin on building a new custom pc and shifting from mac to windows ...
I just want to install windows 8.1 and some basic softwares ... nothing heavy and defenitly no games ... as i planned to buy another higher ssd for gaming ...
So do u think 60GB is enough ?

coolguybaddude

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Well 60 GB SSD is good enough if you really stick to the ... nothing heavy and defenitly no games ... & also you are going for another ssd for games so good. Think it might even support 1 game at a time... Please choose the correct answer for others & reply for sure; what you finalize...

Interesting thread.

A modern 3rd generation SATA 3 6Gb/s 64GB solid state drive can accommodate Microsoft Windows and some software applications and utilities if configured properly. However, most of the newest ssd's are not available in a 64GB capacity. A capacity of 120GB is typically the smallest capacity for newer drives.

You mentioned planning on buying a second high end ssd just for games. I have an alternate solution for you. Consider one large 120GB or 256GB ssd. Either capacity will allow you to install Microsoft Windows, software applications, utilities, and your favorite games. No need to fool around with 2 ssd's.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

As you scroll down you'll see which 60GB ssd's are available. You can follow the links to the technical reviews. Most of the 60GB ssd's were introduced two or three years ago, mostly by 3rd party companies and most of them are not very well known. The 3rd party vendors do not manufacture the ssd or the ssd components. They pay a company to manufacture the ssd's for them.

popatim

Titan
60gb is plenty of space for win8 and a handful of apps. I have a 64gb in one of my htpc's and have about 20gb of space left. Installed apps: avg, cd ripper, dvd ripper, media center (doesnt come with 8 ), windows server connect software, Adobe flash & reader, minecraft... (thats off the top of my head, not sure whats all on their)