i3 560 temps after OC

paniq

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Hello everyone.

I'd like to ask if my CPU temps after the OC I made are safe; my current settings are:
Asus P7H55-M Mobo
6GB DDR3 1333MHZ (@1280MHZ) OCZ CL7
i3 560 3,33 @ 4,0 (stock cooler):
Ratio - 25
BCLK - 160
DRAM Multiplier - 8
Vcore 1,25 (it's set @ auto, the reading is from OCCT)

Idle temps are around 45-48 degrees, at OCCT it went up to 78-79. I'd like not to play with Vcore, as I'm totally green in it and don't to mess anything up. CPU is stable, I just wanna know if the temps aren't too high for daily usage. I may consider buying some proper CPU cooler, but I'd like to avoid spending any money into this build as it's pretty old already.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: previously I was running 3,8 @ max 70 degrees and 1,19 vcore

the temps are ok, so aslong as it is stable there is not problem, however try tuning the cpu fan up a little bit, try to knock off a few degrees, or even better get an aftermarket cooler, if you have $30 then the hyper 212 evo is a great cooler, should keep the cpu under 70c while being quiet :D

paniq

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking about changing the thermal paste on the CPU, not sure what's in there because I didn't put the PC together on my own, and having ~40-45 degrees on stock clocks is pretty high isn't it?

I cranked the fan speed up to 2000RPM (100%) - didn't notice much more noise.

paniq

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
As I said, I have no idea what is there. The build is 3 years old, and so is the paste. I went back to the previous settings (3.8ghz) because I don't feel too comfortable with such high temps. I think that after all I will get new paste and maybe Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO (since it's cheaper than the CM one) and then crank it up back to 4.0.

The thing is that the difference between 3.8 and 4.0 won't be that easy to notice as for 3.33 -> 3.8 I suppose, so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort (and the money) anymore. I plan to change the core parts (cpu, mobo, gpu) at the end of this year or so.

i would change the paste for sure, arctic cooling freezer 13 pro is a fine choice. and its up to you to decide if its worth the performance increase, and if you plan on upgrading at the end of the year then you might aswell crank the most out of your build now, so i would replace the thermal paste and crank it up to 4.0 and see what temps you get. if it is under 80c while being stressed it is fine :)