Need help picking a good motherboard for my older build!

Which is better for a budget gaming build?

• Intel Core quad

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Intel Core 2 duo extreme ( the dual core variant )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ncvikingx97

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Hey guys, I need some help. As you can probably tell, I am completely new to the world of desktop PC's. I own an Asus laptop with a Sandy Bridge i5 and an xbox, but I want to build a gaming rig( low budget). I was recently given an older Gateway desktop, I think it is a GT5448E. Now the reason that I need some advice is because in order to really get started, I have to strip this thing down . Out of the box, it comes with an Nvidia GeForce 7500LE, a 320 Gig hard drive, and an intel core 2 duo E6300( the lowest of the desktop core line, 1.86 ghz). So , the first logical step is to replace the motherboard. I am looking at an Intel D975XBX2KR, which is compatible with my current GPU because they are both PCI express. I can also use some of the ram that I have available in the current system. Is there any way to check if my current motherboard( Intel DP965LV) could take a core quad? Is there any way I can check in the BIOS? My current list of to-buys is looking like:

Intel core quad OR intel core 2 extreme (which is better, the extreme will most likely be dual core?)

another 2-4 gigs of DDR2 ram

Intel D975XBX2KR motherboard

Eventually a 30-40 dollar ATX case

What do you guys think? I should be able to use the above hardware with the new GPU correct? I am kind of nervous as I don't have a lot of cash, and I can get all of the above mentioned things for under $200. The good news is, I can use many of the different components I already have, to slowly build a better rig. I will eventually add a better graphics card. I am also going to add a little poll comparing both processors .Any feedback is REALLY appreciated, thanks guys!

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
You current mobo can take up to a Core 2 Extreme or Core 2 Duo.

If your current motherboard has an expansion slot for graphics card, why not just ditch the 7500LE and get something a little more powerful? A C2D even at 1.86GHz isn't going to hold very many games back very far as newer games are all GPU intensive, not CPU.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
According to Intel's specs, yes it'll take a Core 2 Extreme which will give you a decent boost in CPU power. Or just getting a higher clocked C2D would help too. I'd start by just getting a new graphics card and RAM and seeing where you sit.

ncvikingx97

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Hmmm okay. I was told that the DP905 LV is a special is different than the LT. Is the LV actually on there? Is there anyway I can be sure my bios can support the upgrade? Thanks a lot man, sorry for the questions.

ncvikingx97

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks!!! So I guess I will just buy the quad and keep the motherboard(it also supports 8 gigs of ram). As long as I have PCI express, can I install any kind of card I want? Or are there different versions? Thanks again!

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Nononono not the Quad, it doesn't support a Quad. The E6750 is a highly overclockable Core 2 Duo part.

And yes, PCIe is backwards compatible so any PCIe card will work in any PCIe slot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nvidia is 100% backwards compatible, so a PCIe 3 card will work in a PCIe 1.0 slot. AMD is not. PCIe 3 will only work in PCIe 2.1 or higher, so for best compatibility stick with nvidia.

As previously stated, get the best gpu your budget will allow, and the highest clock you can get. If that means an E6750 OC to 3.2, then that's the best you can do. Otherwise, switching to fx-6300 and a decent am3+ mobo will be the better cheap option.

ncvikingx97

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Okay thanks guys. I will definitely be moving the GPU higher up the priority list. Assuming I can get the core 2 extreme, I should be able to complete the upgrade for below $200. Although if I can only get standard core duos, I will upgrade the motherboard, and go from there. Once again , thanks for the help!

ncvikingx97

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Not attmpeting to bump, but I have another question. What is the difference between the core 2 duo and core 2 duo extreme that allows my btx motherboard to use?

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Again, I don't know for sure, but I'd assume since it's a C2D Socket 775 part. I'd just play it safe and get the E6750 and overclock it to 3GHz--boom, you've got yourself an Extreme

ncvikingx97

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Okay thanks man. I'm pretty new to this, sorry for the repition of the questions. Since I cant be certain, I think I'll probably just got ahead and get a new motherboard as well. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS