FX 8320 - i5 4670 power cost diference

paulpierce34

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Hi,

I would like to know how much will be difference in power cost between these two?
1 kWh in my country is 17cents. PC usage - cca 7hrs of gaming, 5 hrs of medium load (yt, web, movies).

Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The Intel chip is an 84W unit, the AMD is 125W. Of course how much they actually consume of that will depend on how you use them and if you OC or not. But with that base difference of 41W to start with, you are looking at a difference of 41 watt hours at their rated TDP. The 15 should be more economical... all else being equal.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
and the fact that the i5 is faster, the choice is a no brainer. unless you actually believe that those 8 lazy inefficient cores would one day be the saviour as what amd fanboys would like you to believe.

leeb2013

Honorable
if you are looking for low power and the bonus of an I7, go for the E3-1230-V2 or V3 Xeon. 65W tdp, although I undervolted mine and never seen it take more than 45W, typically around 30W gaming. Also remains below 50C running Prime.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I watched the teksyndicate vid on the 8350 vs 3570k and they calculated the power usage, but to me it was very unrealistic, they only calculated 3 hours of use on each pc, and with that 3 hours of use they calculated (using USA costs) the 8350 cost like ~$10 more per year to run than the i5, but that's with only 3 hours of gaming they claimed. They didn't state the costs to just browse on the pc.

At the end of the day though, 10 more dollars per YEAR is nothing....even to somebody at mcdonalds that is literally nothing for a whole year.