PC Upgrade question

fraculator

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
I'm currently running an original Core 2 Quad Core CPU with a GTX 470. This PC was built 7 years ago, still runs nice but games are starting to struggle mostly because of the CPU, but the older 470 isn't helping. I've put a new build together, but I can't decide if I should get a GTX 770 (the ASUS model is currently $299 with Free Copy of Watch Dogs), the GTX 780 (priced at $509 w/ Watch Dogs included like the other), or wait for the new 800 series. Realistically, the 800 series will probably be priced at the original 700 series levels, so I'd probably be spending an extra $100 or so on an gtx 870. Whatever I end up doing will be an upgrade. I'd like to play at max settings and I will be on 1920 x 1080 with a single monitor, so nothing crazy. I also thought about getting the 770 and just waiting for it to drop in price and get a 2nd for SLI, though with a single monitor at that resolution, I don't think I'd really be reaping the benefits.

if you do the 780 i would get the 6gb version not the 3 gb version. However at 1080p sli 770 is very justifiable especially with games like watch dogs and stuff comming out. Shoot metro ll put my 780ti to work before i sli'd it. If you do the 770 get the 4gb version. There are tons of reports around the web of games like skyrim, bf4 and titanfall using plenty more than the 2gb the standard 770 comes with. In fact over at evga forums there are several reports and pictures also showing titanfall using around 3gb of vram on a 4gb 770. So i would def recommend the 4gb versions if you go with the 770.

If the rumours are anything like true the 8xx series is still many months away, some place it as far away as Q1 2015, so waiting isn't really an option.
If you're going to stick with a single monitor a GTX780 is a good choice for a new build but I'd not recommend a 6Gb card just yet, even if you can find one.
Again, with a single monitor the performance difference between the 780 and 780Ti isn't enough to justify the extra cost, even for a new build.

well considering titan fall is already maxing the vram on 3gb cards if going for a 780 the 6gb model would be much smarter so you have not only the processing power but the vram to back it up. Oh and titan fall is just one of a few out now and def will be more in the near future maxing 3gb at 1080p.