planning to run 8 thinclient terminals on my home PC

Satish Sharma

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
I am planning to run 8 thinclient terminals for my small company.

Users will mostly use following applications :
filezilla
notepad++
firefox with 4-5 addons(maybe 3-4 tabs opened at a time each ternminal).
XAMPP for windows.

My PC is having following configuration
Processor : AMD 3.3 GHz AM3 Phenom II 560 Processor - black edition
Ram : 4Gb DDR3 (I can add 4Gb more)
Hard Disk: 1 TB
Graphics : nVidia geForce gt 520 (2Gb DDR3, however i think its irrelevant because it wont change anything)

will i be able to run 8 terminals properly with those applications when using my pc as host?

What OS your thin clients are going to see?
What hardware they will use?
You said, "XAMPP for Windows", does this mean your clients will see Windows desktop?

There is no way you can run Terminal Services on XP without additional hacking, and even if you were able to do that, even 8GB RAM are not enough.

Actually, probably the question would be, what you have (as hardware) apart from your PC, and what your team is doing?

Satish Sharma

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Lets make it simple.

I need to run windows server 2003 and going to attach 8 terminals to it. I have already stated what applications are going to be used. Those applications can be run easily on low end computers, like pc's having 1ghz cpu and 256mb ram.

What configuration will be sufficient for a host PC so that i don't have to see much lag or any other issues. I mean to say how much RAM, which processor, motherboard should i go for.

@Satish, I can read, don't worry. In your first post you said your "server" PC will use Windows XP Pro, it's now you're saying Windows Server.

The version you're going to use (2003) is no longer supported by Microsoft. In addition, you will need Terminal Server License for each client above two.

There are many sizing guides for Windows Terminal Server, Google/Bing/Yahoo for "terminal server sizing guide". I would definitely get x64-capable server hardware, and put 8GB of RAM. I woudl also put gigabit network card, and have the server connected to a gigabit switch.

As for "how much RAM, CPU, MB" - get a real server hardware, even used one. Make sure you have backup plan for your server as well.