New SSD Cloning Issue

Dyingpie1

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hey Tomshardware users,
I recently recieved a Sandisk Ultra Plus 256 GB SSD, that will be replacing a Samsung 840 120 GB SSD (I found the Sandisk for only $100 and my friend said he'll buy my other SSD for $80), and I hooked up the Sandisk SSD into my system and I cloned the items from the Samsung onto the Sandisk with EaseUs Todo trial version. Then, I restarted my system, booted from the new SSD and everything was working fine. But then I went to My Computer and checked the storage of it, and Windows only saw it as a 120 GB hard drive, when it is a 256 GB SSD. Every software program recognizes that it is a 256 GB SSD, but Windows only uses 120 GB after the cloning. Don't say there might be a problem with my drive, because there isn't, I made sure of that before I cloned the files. I now know that there are settings you're supposed to change before you clone one drive to another. The problem was that the cloning software, by default, makes Windows see the new drive after being cloned as basically the same drive as the one you cloned from. Now my problem is, what do I do now? I have tried wiping the drive but now its saying that half the drive is unformatted and the other half is unallocated. Does anyone have any idea what I should do next so that I can clone my drive the right way and get it running as it should be? Should I erase the drive completely and restore it to factory default? Also do you think that I should invest in cloning software, such as, Acronis True Image software?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
When you used EaseUS to clone you didn't do it right. I often catch myself almost doing the same thing. On the last step. you have to drag the larger drive's space open to fill the total amount of room available. Otherwise it will only clone the smaller original drive to a 'partition' on the bigger drive.

If you still have access to the small drive with the original data still on it, just re-do the clone operation.