Which Monitors Should I Choose and How Many?

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I purchased a computer recently with the intent of gaming and eventually high definition video editing.

Specs:
CPU: i7-4820k overclocked to 4.5 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 780
32 GB 1866 MHz Ram

Ive been playing games on an old small HP monitor that I have but now I am ready to move into a proper monitor (I feel like I am not utilizing the power that is at my disposal) and I have a few questions:

1) How many monitors could I realistically run simultaneously off of a single GTX 780 Graphics card (could 3 work?). Two or Three monitors will be very beneficial for my video editing, but it is really worth it for gaming?
2) If I have two monitors, could I play a game on one while still having access to my desktop and the internet on the other?
3) If I run multiple monitors off of a single graphics card, do they need to be the same monitor or can I mix and match?
4) I am looking for monitors that can run at least 2560 x 1440p. Should I stick to a monitor that is G-Sync Capable?

With these questions in mind, could you guys in the Tom's Hardware Universe of Awesome make some recommendations? Keep in mind that I am looking for monitors that will have a clear and crisp image while keeping accurate and realistic color (my wife also does photography including macro and editing). I am looking for large, preferably 27". I do not have a set budget, I will take that into account once I see what options are out there, but I also would like to avoid $800 dollar monitors so make any and all suggestions you would like and I will listen!

Thank you all in advance for your time and experience!

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I will let others provide actual links/recommendations but I will put my 2 cents in from my experiences. I currently have 2 GTX 770's in SLI. Before I bought the 2nd card, the 1 770 ran my 2560 x 1440 monitor just fine on ultimate settings. I have 2 other monitors connected for various other tasks and they are both just 1080 monitors. So I game on he 1440 monitor, run system monitoring programs on the 2nd monitor and use the 3rd monitor for just watching YouTube videos, movies, etc. So yes you can mix and match monitors that are different resolutions and sizes.

As for the G-Sync I think it's a cool idea but have no experience with it.

Since you are getting this monitor for photography/video editing I would suggest an IPS monitor as opposed to a TN monitor. They have better color reproduction and vewing angles (at the cost of slower response times). Which is why hardcore gamers prefer TN panels. That being said, even though I mostly game and do NO editing, I still bought my 1440 monitor with an IPS panel just for the better color reproduction. I am not good enough of a gamer for a few milliseconds to matter to me.

Hope this helps.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
you could power 3x1080p monitors and most games will span across 3. I personally dont like this, as you have bezel breaking up the image.

you could also do dual monitor gaming, but this is really annoying in first person shooters... as where your aiming is right in the middle, split by the monitor bezels.
you are barely scratching the surface of your 780... your HP monitor might not even be 1080p.

you can mix and match monitors as you please! I would reccomend getting a pixel perfect QNIX qx2710 on ebay for $330. they're 2560x1440 and they overclock with a simple utility to 120hz. Based on the samsung PLS panel. Similar to IPS, a bit different. I wouldnt worry about G-sync just yet. I don't think its all that great. this monitor on high/ultra would really be working your GPU to the most it can do.

so if your GPU can pump out more than 60fps, you'll actually see them. any normal monitor can only display 60hz, so even if your system shows you are output 200fps, its pointless.

I have one Qnix, and then one Asus 1080p next to it. At night I'm typically gaming on the 1440p, and streaming a tv show or NHL on my second monitor, along with temp monitoring stuff.
Just for reference... i have two 770's overclocked as far as they will go (nearly to stock 780 performance levles), and playing arkham origins at 1440p with maxed out settings, I get about 90fps. looks beautiful!
so you'd be looking at about 50fps in that game with 1440p and max settings... but you can often turn anti aliasing off and gain tons of FPS. it's not really needed in most games at 1440p... it's so crisp to begin with
you'd be fine re-using your HP just for secondary monitor purposes

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Definitely agree with the link to the ASUS monitor. -- That's the one I have ;)

.... although I bought it when it was $699 :(