gtx 770 2gb vs 4gb for two monitors

XxAkenoxX

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hello,

I plan on doing a 1920x1080 two monitor setup with one display only using it for facebook, youtube, etc, and the other for just for games like skyrim, bf4, etc. I want to do this because I want to multitask in between loading times and such.
I've been reading that the 4GB model is good for a multi monitor set up but I only plan to game on one monitor though.

What's you're guys thoughts on which model should I buy?

Solution
If you're only gaming on one, 2GB should be fine. However, if you are concerned about running out of VRAM, the 770 is not a good choice for memory above 2GB. The 256-bit memory bus on the GPU really limits the VRAM utilization potential, so basically spending extra money on the 4GB is entirely a waste. Benchmarks to back my words up: http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

What I am saying is, you're probably fine with a single 2GB GTX 770, and the 4GB is a huge money waste anyways. If you're actually concerned about going over the VRAM limit, save your money until you can get an R9 280X or GTX 780.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
If you're only gaming on one, 2GB should be fine. However, if you are concerned about running out of VRAM, the 770 is not a good choice for memory above 2GB. The 256-bit memory bus on the GPU really limits the VRAM utilization potential, so basically spending extra money on the 4GB is entirely a waste. Benchmarks to back my words up: http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

What I am saying is, you're probably fine with a single 2GB GTX 770, and the 4GB is a huge money waste anyways. If you're actually concerned about going over the VRAM limit, save your money until you can get an R9 280X or GTX 780.

Solution

XxAkenoxX

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

okay cool!
What happens if I run out of VRAM anyways?

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Well it depends on the game and situation. Sometimes, you will see nothing happen. Other times, you will see a reduced framerate. Most commonly, you will see stuttering until your VRAM utilization lowers. In more rare cases, the game could crash.

TRENDING THREADS