Is Donald Sterling a Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of what Fox News says...if you read the transcript or hear the full audio of the conversation between him and his (ironically) mixed race super hot girlfriend...yes, the guy is a racist, at the very least he comes off as a self-hating elitist Jew.

Read the transcript and hear the full audio here; Exclusive: The Extended Donald Sterling Tape

If anything it just goes to show that most people do not think they are actually racist.

Truly tho, I could care less...

wrathofdragon

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012

me too. i just had the fox news thing pop up in my messages and decided to share it with yall...

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You should care because this country is getting out of control with racism today and people like you who make these remarks who are dead wrong! Regarding elitist JEW!

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
The truth shall set you free I see you will not answer me why??

I wish I was a black man so I could enjoy having laws to make my way through life. funny how they can say what they want and don't get hit by this ''racist'' crap. but then again if your white you have to make it on your own with out laws to back you up and I guess free speech only pertains to certain things any more. let a black gut call a white guy something and see if cost him anything. cause if the white guy tried to do as the black man on this issue he would be laughed at and be called crazy cause them laws don't apply to him. funny how its 98% of the time if not all the time its the black folks crying. I mean Mexicans , native americans , you don't hardly see them or others getting there way as do the black folks. its just sad that a people got to have all them laws to back them up and still cry like a spoiled brat kid. ya must be nice. I know and work with a few black folks and there are some I enjoy to be around and as a coworker and as a friend and those are the ones that I give respect to as they do me , but there are those who hang around and seem to look for the reason to start there trouble like there some what above you and you better kiss there butt or the yellen and crying is fixing to start. you cant be in the same room with them with out fear something will set them off in this respect. I don't know, it seems they let this raciest thing get way out of hand. if I don't want you around weather your black thin red haired or what ever that should be my right and not be forced to have you around by law.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

hm.
Hard to say.

I just listened the audio that Chunk linked, and imo (and with my poor english) we can't tell.
Who recorded that ? the girl?
if so, why did she ?
And moreover, if she did, we can assume she was trying to make him say something.

And actually, i don't really care.
This guy can have his own opinion.
i don't care if my neighbour doesn't like black people, or white people or jewish people.
I do not care about racism as a personal opinion. In my view, we cannot prohibit or condemn these things. Incitement to hatred is the only thing that must be fought.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Also maybe you are not aware that D. Sterling is a slumlord also in California.This inhume person has no feelings at all towards people who use to live in his buildings and were treated like dirt.

riser

Illustrious

It doesn't matter based on the evidence. He was illegally recorded, yet he's being punished without due process.

He said this in the privacy of his own place. His "girlfriend" had a reason to do this to time and set him up. But regardless he said this in privately and was recorded illegally. Doesn't matter what he said. The reality is if we as a community punish him over his private comments, we as a whole give up our right to free speech. He isn't out on national TV stating this blatantly to the public. Everyone is entitled to their private views.

''Also maybe you are not aware that D. Sterling is a slumlord also in California.This inhume person has no feelings at all towards people who use to live in his buildings and were treated like dirt''

so what? if that's his American dream so be it. but if you know these things of him and still deal with him then you have no one to blame but yourself but as it seems now in this country its everyone's fault other than your own.

I was on vacation for the past week Marv. A man needs some down time every now and then...

After listening to that audio, the fact that he is elitist is blatant. On top of that he is making racist statements despite his own cultural identity and the historical persecution of the jewish people. Heck, even his super hot girlfriend points out the irony of him being jewish and making those racist statements! To me, that just demonstrates a certain level of self loathing; hence why I believe me saying Sterling is a self hating elitist jew is a statement of fact and not me, in turn, being a racist myself.

Agree 100%. The right to free speech trumps an illegally recorded and private conversation, does not matter what is to said or to whom.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hope you had a good vacation.I am sick and tired of the racism game that is being played by the Blacks in the states today.Whites are discriminated also especially Jews even today. Think about this.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

I know who he is.
But i don't like the way you judge him.
You can talk like this about someone you know from years. You cannot if you talk about someone you only know through the press.

Especially the Jews ??? are we back to 1936 ??

It might be different from my country, so....
Jews and black people are untouchables.

So they ALWAYS says that french people are racists (and antisemitic...makes no difference), but they seems to be less tolerant than us.
Today in my country, you have no hope to feel supported by the gov if you are not black, catholic, jew or a woman.

I'm tired to talk about racism....
They are always been intolerant people everywhere in the world. I'm tired to hear that they are more and more, and it getting worse and blabla.
Same about antisemitism.... how can we talk that much from a religion that represent only 1% of the population ?

The entire world is sick, but they told me everyday it is my fault and i should apologize from everything that happened in the world.

Apparently you can say just about anything today and end up breaking someones ideas of what a perfect world should be! :pfff:

Personally, I just don't care about this endless crying for rights when you have more rights than anyone else already and are too engrossed in yourself to realize it, until we get back to the day of powdering your rear and bottle feeding you!

Whoa! Someone has said the wrong thing!!!!!!!!! Stop the presses!!!!!

Cry wolf, too many times and people just stop listening, then when you really need help? ROFLMAO :lol:

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, it's at least one thing they haven't taken away yet to please someone else!

Just don't voice your opinion out in public, or you'll make the 6 Oclock news! :pt1cable:

Personally I could care less whether he is racist or not, it doesn't put a roof over my family's head or food on the table!

Here's a thought:

The whites of today did not sell the blacks of yesterday into slavery in the first place!

So why are we whites today, still paying for something originated by their own people?

Most are unaware there were actually black plantation owners in the states that owned black slaves! :ouch:

http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/03/black_slave_owners_did_they_exist.html

And this is rather interesting from that article:

And for a time, free black people could even "own" the services of white indentured servants in Virginia as well. Free blacks owned slaves in Boston by 1724 and in Connecticut by 1783; by 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler "regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade," Halliburton wrote.

We hear those referencing the "N" word, but when I was a child on my grandfathers farm it was a compliment referencing a hard working black man or woman, it was not an insult.

My grandfather treated a black man with honor, they sharecropped for my grandfather in trade for shared crops, land and a home, and they were happy, and some of my best friends back then, and they would give you the shirt off their back!

But the crying and whining of today of those that are much more privileged, and have already gained a hundred times the rights, have long lost that honor, and only seek to get more, never satisfied.

So the black man was elated that we finally have a black president, yeah he was going to solve all the black mans problems and build on a few wings to the white house for black residences,(a satirical reference only, Obama did not say that.), well guess what, he may be black, but he is still a politician!

Welcome to the real world!

Why would you even care Marv?

Do you have some monumental statement to make?

Has he done something to you directly you'd like to share and get off your chest?

It doesn't matter if he is racist or not, he's the one living with it, not you!

And what is this truth Marv?

That chunkymonster also has the right to his own opinion even if it differs from yours?

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I had no idea who this guy was before this whole sheet show started.

After reading into a bit it looks like this was just the last straw for the NBA, this guy is no stranger to lawsuits stemming from racism. So that quote in itself wasnt terrible but when added to his already existing list of racist things he was let go.

I dont feel bad for him, he can cry into his literal billion dollars until the day he dies. At the same time the guy was like 82, I am not surprised that most (I Know most of you folks are old) very old people are racist. The guy was a teenager during segregation, he developed in one of the most racist times in American history.

People also tend to forget the NBA is a business, if you say stupid sheet that affects the bottom line they will let you go.

EthanPark

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I think that there isn't enough data to say that he is racist for certain; at least, any more than the average American.

1. He went on a rant over the phone with racist comments involved. I've seen plenty of guys say far worse in the heat of the moment. Some were racist while some weren't. Even I say racial slurs quite often; including slurs directed at my own ethnic background merely due to the fact that it's vulgar & that's the point of shouting out expletives when upset. To offend.

2. He has a history of racial bias in his real estate business practices. He would not rent out property to black or hispanic people in LA's Koreatown. I doubt he could care less who lives or operates in Koreatown EXCEPT... it's Koreatown. It's be a horrible business decision to go against the preference of a community that is made up of Koreans. It seriously would bring the property value down and cause some businesses & families to move away. I recall a very nice looking high rise condo in Atlanta having plenty of attractive condos selling for very low prices with so man available. I found out why when I took a tour with the real estate agent. The majority of residents were black; I could care less if they were black, white, or Hispanic but... I was only shopping to invest in a condo, and I'm well aware that many people, unfortunately, shy away from property with primarily occupied by the black community due to remnants of racism. I'm not trying to be politically correct when making a business decision; I'm trying to turn a profit.

So, is Sterling a racist? I doubt anyone that isn't involved in his life can back up their claims that he is racist or that he isn't. I'll just maintain my stance that he made a racially insensitive comment as an owner of an organization comprised mostly of black athletes. So, it's no surprise that the NBA banned him; they did the right thing. I had an intern who had his bag stolen 2 weeks ago, and he whispered to me, "I'll be you it was that black guy... Those f***ing n***ers, man... you know? I'm not racist, but so many of them steal s**t." Guess who lost their internship that same week? It was also for the sheer unprofessionalism and stupidity though..

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Sterling should have kept his thoughts to himself period and all this would not have occurred at all.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Remember we all bleed the same.

The recordings that this "V. Stiviano" leaked to the press certainly suggest so. Anything can be selectively edited and taken grossly out of context to make something appear that it's not. His response to the comments was "I should have paid her off," which suggests she was/is trying to blackmail him with this. That would support her releasing only things that sounded particularly foul and potentially editing them for that effect as well. We'll never know the real truth unless we get access to that purported hundred hours of audio she recorded of him.

My personal guess based on what I've seen in the news (which may be/probably is heavily biased) is that he probably has some views which aren't considered politically correct. He obviously didn't let that get in the way of his business dealings and he had kept it apprently private up until this woman leaked his recordings to the press, likely for her own benefit. Remember, the local NAACP chapter was going to give this guy a lifetime award for race relations just prior to this award. The truth is as usual much more complicated than the "drive-by media" likes to report. So, the real question here is does this make him a bad person? That's a much harder question to answer.

riser

Illustrious

First, I'm at a loss of how Jews were brought into it. My buddy is Jewish. He told me how to keep Jehovah Witnesses from coming to my door by hanging a book thingie from my front door or something.

Let's separate religion from race. It is a very hard thing for people to do though.

I have listened more often that I care to admit to D. Sterling's comments. I have come to this conclusion: he didn't want his "girlfriend" posing with black NBA people because of their stereotype of sleeping with women.

If you listen to his comments about "broadcasting" her appearing with black NBA people it may make sense to you. He's dating her and she's posting on Instragram pics of her with NBA super stars.

Let's get some history. There is rookie week where NBA rookies learn how to sleep with women, use condoms properly, avoid having a baby with them, etc. Donald Sterling has a background in helping his players avoid this kind of situation. So, he sees his girlfriend posting pictures with NBA stars who are, well, all, black. She appears to the public as a slut and is sleeping with them. His concern is justified as this is his girlfriend. She puts words in his mouth in a hopes of a pay off from him - I mean she's what, 22 and sleeping with an 80 year old? We know her agenda.

Anyhow, she is up for losing her car and condo and everything else because he's been paying for it while she has no real talent. You can't blame the guy for asking her not to bring former super star athletes to the game with her and have TV attention brought to it.

Listen to his conversation with that mentality and you might find yourself understanding the context.

EthanPark

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

In terms of people offended by what he said, I'm sure it's better that he said it since it's not the words that pose a problem but mindset that they reveal. So, his thoughts being revealed could be a good thing.

Anyway, I don't see what's wrong with getting angry and revealing your thoughts to someone you're close to. For God's sakes, she was his gf and they were having sex; saying something very insensitive to your friend or girlfriend isn't something one would expect to get put on the news. I'm willing to bet my life savings that nearly everyone here has said something offensive to someone within the privacy of their homes. And I'll bet that they would not want those comments to be repeated in the workplace. Am I excusing his behavior or attitude? No. Because it's not what he should not have said but it's a matter of how he sees different races as a member of an organization with a culture like the NBA. Especially when many players in that organization could be role models for youth.

I'll amend one mistake I made though. He probably is racist & very prejudice in many other ways with the things he's said and done in the past. They weren't mere business decisions according to his documented comments years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.