Sign in with
Your question

WD 2TB Black or 1TB VelociRaptor for Secondary Drive?

Last response: in Storage

Which of these should I get for my SECONDARY drive (500GB SSD will be my main drive)?:

Total: 0 vote

• Western Digital 2TB Black
  • 0 %
  • Western Digital 1TB VelociRaptor
  • 0 %
  • Other (Please comment in thread)
  • 0 %
April 30, 2014 6:40:49 AM

I have read many threads comparing these two, but most just have a lot of comments about how SSD drives are better. Those are good answers for those threads, but I am getting a 500GB SSD for my main drive.

I want to know whether I should get a 2TB Black or 1TB VelociRaptor for my secondary drive that will hold my music, maybe a couple games (older games or ones that are just too huge for me to put on my SSD), and all my documents and other random stuff that doesn't need to be on a SSD.

So, does the smaller size of the VelociRaptor not make it worth it for a secondary drive? Right now, I can get either the 2TB Black or 1TB VelociRaptor for about the same price, and I believe I should be fine with a total of 1.5GB storage between my SSD and a secondary drive. I try to delete stuff when I no longer need it or move it to an external drive.

Thank you!
April 30, 2014 6:53:32 AM

If you already are planning an SSD for your boot / OS drive, a "typical" 3.5 2TB drive is all you need. The majority of the work will be offloaded to the SSD so the second drive performance is less critical. The WD Black is still overkill in this situation. The Blue would be fine, but my personal preference would sway you toward Seagate or Hitachi. To each their own...
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#m=19...
April 30, 2014 7:20:23 AM

sadams04 said:
If you already are planning an SSD for your boot / OS drive, a "typical" 3.5 2TB drive is all you need. The majority of the work will be offloaded to the SSD so the second drive performance is less critical. The WD Black is still overkill in this situation. The Blue would be fine, but my personal preference would sway you toward Seagate or Hitachi. To each their own...

Thank you for the reply! That really helps. I do feel I at least want a Black, because I really hate having slow speeds when transferring files between my main drive (old save files) or when using iTunes (ugh), et cetera. :) 

Related resources
a c 290 G Storage
April 30, 2014 10:04:25 AM

In a typical scenario a consumer or gamer wil have either a 120GB or 250GB solid state drive. The Microsoft Windows operating system, software applications, utilities, and some favorite gamesare installed on the ssd. A hard disk drive is used to store data files and additional games. It is easy to swap games between the ssd and the hard drive.

I am inclined to agree with sadams04. The Western Digital 2TB Black should serve you well. I have never owned a VelociRaptor but I understand they are noisy. Solid state drives are quiet.
April 30, 2014 11:25:26 AM

sadams04 said:

Actually, after reading this article comparing the Seagate and WD Black, I think I'm going to get the Seagate. The Seagate seems to do better with sequential read/write, which is what I'd primarily be doing with the secondary drive. Thank you for that comment!!
!