Shopping for prebuilt PC to game on ultra settings

Leileix

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
So my budget is barely over $1k since I'll be buying 2 prebuilt desktops..
& I'm wondering if it would be possible to play WoW on ultra settings without problems.
I might pick up D3 again so I'm looking for a computer that will play whatever I throw at it.

Click! I read the power supply wasn't very strong and difficult to upgrade?!
I don't know anything about building computers so I wouldn't be one to beef it up on my own :[

Suggestions and any help are much appreciated!

CrispyChips

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Pretty decent computer,definitely enough for WoW and D3 on ultra.

The powersupply is rather weak for the 770,which recommends 550w with 38amps on the 12v rail.

They're not hard to replace though. If you must,take pics of the motherboard before you take out the old powersupply and replicate the pictures once you've mounted the new one.

It should take around 6 cables,that can only be plugged in one direction, to have your PC running again.

Leileix

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

I was afraid to hear something like this!

I read this in the reviews,
"You pretty much can't upgrade the power supply if you want to. I tried! I bought a 700w PSU to replace the stock one, but that's when I found out the PSU that comes with this build is a 12 PIN connection! This is not common at all and is almost proprietary to this build."

This pretty much went over my head but that's where I got the idea it might be hard to upgrade.
Is it THAT hard to find a compatable part for this? I might need to scrap it and search for another prebuilt?!

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

Are you sure you wouldn't want to build this? Only reason I ask is because pre-built has things you didn't need to get what you want, but you paid for it anyway.

If that's your best solution, then try to find something with a better graphics card, but lower end CPU. like a GTX 780 and I5 4670

If you can't find anything, the PC you posted is actually pretty good.

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Hey it's true the PSU isn't so decent, but couldn't you take it out of the build after you buy it and replace it with the one you got then sell it?

CrispyChips

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

That would be a terrible thing to do with an underpowered Powersupply like this is..but i did look around and found this thread,Good Job Acer...

In light of this news,its really not that hard to put together a DIY kit,you'll save money and/or gain performance as well!

Leileix

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
DanKem06 -
Yes, I'd much rather build it myself but I'm a noob when it comes to building. I probably couldn't even switch a part without blowing everything up ;D

4cloud -
I considered switching it with another compatable part & selling the original.. but, as mentioned above, I have zero faith in myself to do such! I don't even know anyone personally that could help me out. Blahhh.

CrispyChips -
Thanks for digging up that link! I'm pretty sure I don't want to deal with all of that business haha.

Y'all have been super helpful! After reading the responses, I believe I'm going to have to make a trip down to a local shop to see if the guys could build me a decent system for my budget. I really would hate to settle for a prebuilt that isn't near perfect for my needs. Thanks again for all of the input and saving me from a purchase I'd probably regret!