How can I upgrade this older pc setup?

Modern Sage

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Does my old computer need a facelift...or a graveyard?
I work on computers all day, but am a complete newb when it comes to building one. I have an old computer and need to figure out if its worth upgrading.

Here's the specs that I know off hand:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Nvidia GeForce 8600Gs
Core 2 Quad Q6660 @2.4ghz
4GB ddr2 RAM
Unsure abut the mobo-other than it had an integrated GFX card, and the Nvidia card was added later instead (I dont know much, but I know integrated cards suck as a rule of thumb).
Are there any better GFX cards or CPU that will work with my setup specifically? I know its a fairly outdated setup, and any suggestions about how to squeeze a bit more power out of this old thing would be great!

RFM1997

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hello Modern Sage!

That system is not that bad, you've got enough ram, windows 7 and a Quad core CPU, still good for today's applications!

Just get a new graphics card if you want to game, otherwise, that card is enough for youtube and video playback.

If you really want to make the system feel like brand new, get a SSD (Solid State Drive), those things are incredibly fast, and very accessible to casual users. I would suggest a Crucial M500 or a samsung evo, they both cost less than 100$ and are worth the money invested! No mechanical hard drive can achieve the speeds of a SSD.

Get a 120GB version, just to install windows and main programs, then use the hard drive as a junk storage, as well as a place to install not so important applications :)

Modern Sage

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Thanks RFM! I know my setup has a Gfx card from 2008 or so, what type of Graphics card would you recommend that would be compatible with my rig?

Im guessing since there's DDR2 RAM and the fact the computer used to be an xp (Dell optiplex 745), that my options are fairly limited when it comes to compatible cards. I do occasionally enjoy gaming, but the bulk of my work is done in Adobe After Effects, (video editing and animation). It works, albeit a tad slow (particularly when rendering). I WILL also look into the SSD, as I plan on a trip to Frys soon anyway! Thanks!

RFM1997

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
About graphics cards, you can put any PCIe x16 graphics card, they're all compatible. You have to mind the power source, it must be able to deliver a certain wattage for the system to function, and graphic cards are widely known to be energy hogs.

Also, which kind of case is your Dell Optiplex 745? Slim? Medium tower? If it's a slim tower, the graphic cards choices are reduced to low profile cards.

What's your budget?

Modern Sage

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Well the tower size is the regular, full size, "old school" standard desktop tower ( i think they call it a mini tower, but there's nothing "mini" about it). So its the bigger one. As far as budget, maybe a few hundred dollars. I'd just like the option to play the occasional AAA game on medium settings, and be able to render/preview video a bit quicker.

Considering the older ram, and core 2 quad, is there a mid range gfx card you'd recommend (thats PCIex16 compatible) that wont break the bank and/or bottleneck horrendously?

Thanks again for responding man, I really appreciate it.

RFM1997

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
So I take this as your computer case alright?

fy0adf.jpg

Also, what's your screen resolution? If it's lower than 1080p the ATI HD 7770 or the rebranded R7 250x fares great at around 100$.

If you desire some decent power at 1080p you can get the R7 260X for 120$

Both cards are solid enough to play games at 1080p at medium, high settings. They also are far more powerful than your current card, so the rendering times will be much shorter.

Modern Sage

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Thats EXACTLY what my case looks like! Nailed it! Yeah Im gonna go for one of the cards you mentioned. Probably the ATI 7770HD. Would be nice to squeeze some semi-modern gaming out of this rig once and a while. My only concerns now are the power supply and whether it will work with said card. Im hoping so! Otherwise thanks for your input man. Your help was incredibly appreciated!

RFM1997

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hello Modern Sage! Yes, the cards I mentioned before will help and will work with that machine.

The problem might be the PSU, you may have to upgrade it, in order to be sure that it's a good quality PSU and that can supply the required power to your system.

You can see the ratings and wattage in your PSU, there's a sticker in there.