Bungie: Destiny on PC Still a Possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I understand porting games is not a simple task, but considering the PS4 and XB1 have x86 CPU's and Radeon GPU's, is it really as difficult as it used to be? I mean XB1 pretty much runs windows 8.

Ad Hoc

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Destiny connects to a virtual world that extends to multiple platforms. Getting the PC version to play nice with the others "requires lots of intensive thought,

I don't understand this. Last I heard, Destiny wasn't cross-platform.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Since acquired by microsoft, Bungie has almost always been used to "promote" the new os, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a win 8 only title.

Jan 5, 2013
Since acquired by Microsoft, Bungie has almost always been used to "promote" the new os, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a win 8 only title.
Bungie doesn't have any obligations with Microsoft any more AFAIK so they don't have any reason to make it exclusive to a certain OS

oxiide

Distinguished
Since acquired by microsoft, Bungie has almost always been used to "promote" the new os, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a win 8 only title.
If its coming to Playstation, all such bets are already off.

I do wish they'd either announce the PC version, or shut up about it until they do. This "we haven't forgotten" nonsense is just hype-building. From a marketing/PR standpoint, the only way a statement like this makes any sense is if they already plan to release it on PC. If they genuinely didn't know, they would avoid discussing it.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Destiny connects to a virtual world that extends to multiple platforms. Getting the PC version to play nice with the others "requires lots of intensive thought,

MS tried multi-platform and it was a horrible failure due to the kb/m vs. controller unbalance. I imagine that is the problem being referenced.

MaXimus421

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Let the console's keep it. Game play video looked rather... boring. Was hyped about this title for a while and WAS hoping for a PC version, but this game looks disappointing. Borderlands meets Halo basically.

It's no longer on my radar. Can't believe Bungie's lack of effort on this one. Oh well.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"Parsons added that creating a PC version would not be easy because Destiny connects to a virtual world that extends to multiple platforms."

This killed any hope I had right there. They won't bring it to the PC. But even if they did, it would be outsourced and shitty.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
If it's gonna be another "straight" port with little to no pc optimization? Don't bother. If it has some sense of optimization or some love from the devs? Yea, go ahead, everybody would love it.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
well most games are made on pc's anyway. i mean every single game you saw last yours e3 for next gen consoles was running on windows pc's there is a pc version for every game out htere they just dont want to sell them

I still don't understand the hesitance of companies to develop for PC. Over the last few years, PC profitability has increased steadily, while console sales have remained stagnant. It would be stupid NOT to make a PC version.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Well, let's see... the studio that originally did Halo... it was released for the xbox in late 2001, then finally ported over a year later to PC. Based on that track record, expect the same. PC version will be too little, too late at that point.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
This isn't Bungie's first cross-platform game at all; Myth 2 was released a dual-format CD that contained the installers for both Windows and Mac, and in that sense it was actually more cross-platform than Destiny will be, since Destiny is being released with separate versions for each platform. But yeah, a PC version in theory should be pretty easy, as any cross-platform code developed for consoles should be flexible enough to move to Windows, Mac and Linux if they want to.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Let the console's keep it. Game play video looked rather... boring. Was hyped about this title for a while and WAS hoping for a PC version, but this game looks disappointing. Borderlands meets Halo basically.

It's no longer on my radar. Can't believe Bungie's lack of effort on this one. Oh well.
Borderlands-meets-Halo sounds like it would make for an absurdly amazing game. I don't see how that sounds boring at all.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Bit of a shame. Devs should never forget their roots. Now new consoles are using x86 CPUs, and radeon chips, porting to PC should be easier than ever - Especially with companies like Epic making their engine so easy to port between platforms.

HEIL TO THE MASTER RACE.

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
"Destiny connects to a virtual world that extends to multiple platforms. Getting the PC version to play nice with the others "requires lots of intensive thought,"

Umm so let the PC version exist within its own ecosystem like every other PC game?

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Bungie clearly has a very talented team and i long for them to make a great PC shooter. But what isn't in my best interest is in them doing a quick port to the PC. I appreciate that they rather not implement a port to PC for launch day if they don't think they have the resources to do it well. If they make a PC shooter, i want them to make a good PC shooter. I'm ok with them not releasing Destiny on PC at launch. I'm ok if they never released Destiny to PC. I would love if they eventually made a PC shooter though.

slow_excellence

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
I remember reading an article a while back (I can't recall specific details unfortunately) but a rather brilliant programmer created a cross-platform system that worked between win/mac/Linux, android/ios, and x360/ps3 (console might be a stretch as my memory is a bit spotty). Anyways, the point I'm trying to get at is that its very possible to develop cross-platforming techniques (look at EVE/Dust-514 for example). In my opinion, the reason they aren't being pursued is because the companies don't want to lose out on potential revenue of having an exclusive system.

User4154

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I simply do not understand why they even bothered to spend the time with the xbox 360 and ps3. If they think it'll sell more, they're completely wrong, PC gamers would love this and indeed, they do. This is the game I'm sure many of us have always been waiting for, an MMOFPSRPG, the best of every world.

slow_excellence

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

oh I agree. I own a n xbox 360 and ps3 but only for exclusive titles like halo, demons souls, and the last of us. That being said, I havent used either of my consoles for months. Pc masterrace is and forever will be my choice and I'll drill that into my kids :p

MaXimus421

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Have you seen the game play video? It looks like another regurgitated FPS that fails to execute on either Halo or Borderlands style of game play correctly. Seriously, the worst thing Bungie could have done for this title is release that video. It's really that bad.

Destiny: Devil's Lair game play video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LeDaevD7cEo

f-14

Distinguished
don't worry Microsoft will pull a Halo2 for the PC and make it so this only works on windows 8.0 not win7 not win 8.1, just win 8 and you will have to play it thru Live!

slow_excellence

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

Oh dear don't say that... I was just getting over the nightmares I got from playing Dark Souls with GFWL. ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.