Graphics cards bottlenecked?

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I'm wondering if I might have a bottleneck somewhere in my computer that's keeping my graphics setup from reaching it's full potential.

My system is

CPU- i7 990x 3.46GHz
MB- ASUS Rampage III Formula
RAM- 24 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @1600MHz
GFX- 2 x GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI

So, I would say this setup is pretty decent, not bleeding edge but good. Yet it seems that in a lot of last gen games I'm not able to max out the specs and still get a consistent 60fps, which was kind of the reason why I got another 670 to begin with.

I usually either play games in 3d on an Asus VG248qe monitor, or oversampled from 2560 x 1440 to 1080p in 2d on my TV.

In a lot of the games I've recently played: Assassin's Creed 4, Batman: Arkham games, Bioshock Infinite, it seems like I always have to dial back the DX11 effects, HBAO+, PCSS, Tesselation, and PhysX to get a decent framerate.

I know that the 670s are DX11 cards. I'd think they should be able to handle DX11 effects. It's not like I'm playing at 4k or anything.

Saw online in a forum that some people are playing some of the same games on max settings, with MSAA and PhysX, and are able to get 60fps with a single 760. One specifically being Arkham Origins.

What do you guys think, is my motherboard a bottleneck and holding back my 670's?

Or is 2GB VRAM not enough to run 3d or oversample and also use good AA?

Man I hope that next gen games are better optimized for PC.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Bottlenecking does not have anything do to with motherboards......

I can play all those games at max settings using a single R9 270 too. And it has nothing do with 2gb vram since both R9 270 and GTX 760 only has 2gb. Video ram only has to do if you are stressing a lot of AA as the gpu needs to buffer the frames to correct the jaggies or multi-monitors at higher res.

This is mostly do to the fact you are running in SLI mode. Lots of games are not compatible or even set up to run SLI or crossfire properly. Games often do better on single gpu cards than dual solutions. Also you card is quite old so the architecture might not even be as efficient and powerful when it comes to comparing to newer gen cards.