FX-9730 and HypereX DDR3 stress testing [Final Clock]

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Whelp I have nothing else better to do, I'm going to try to find the highest performance from my die.

AMD is all about the numbers... Problem is their numbers aren't the ones that sell.

(Updated as of June 1st, 1:27pm -5GMT) imgur album of CPUz and BIOS captures here: http://imgur.com/a/ss6nw
___Changelog
June 1st
-Final Clock
--Final Clock Voltage settings
-Added closing lead up, and reason for final clock

May 25th
-Windows 7 Updated
-Ubuntu added
-Imgur clean-up for Voltage (soon to be implemented in next OC profile)

May 1st
-Updated stability notes
-various wording changes
-Added new clock images
-Added "Tested, X" Status
-Made Core status more visible
-Added Turbo Clock (only available on Turbo assisted sessions)

April 30th
-Created page
-Updated RAM clock speeds
-Added common Voltage settings
-Added average temperature settings
-Added case Fan speed

Highest Stables (Cores high to low, then target speed high to low)
__Windows 8.1
____8 Cores, 4541MHz Target, 5019MHz Turbo with 1912 OC RAM [1600]
____8 Cores, 47xxMHz Target with 1910 OC RAM [1600]
____6 Cores, 5052MHz Target with 1880 OC RAM [1600]
______Built from a 4 Core, 5052MHz Taget with 1880 OC RAM. [1600]
__Windows 7
____(may not update, fixed Voltage problem)
__Ubuntu 14.04
____(waiting for a chance to check Ubuntu's OC threshold, and if it's higher than windows)

Sudo Stables (Cores high to low, then target high to low)
_these are builds that I find they will boot but do not sustain. BSODs are common.
__Windows 8.1]
____8 Cores, 4998MHz Target with 1904 OC RAM [1600]
__Windows 7
____1 Core, 52xxMHz Taget, unknown RAM [1333]

FX-9370 | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | ASUS DirectCU 270X 2GB | Kingston 2x4GB 1600 DDR3 | Antec 620w High Current Gamer

Closed! After a weekend (May23rd-25th) of loosing the ability to even boot the system at or above 5GHz, I decided to go for better a better CPU thermal solution of 3.5GHz. I don't work with compressed images or files, almost exclusively uncompressed in both pre-, production and post- when working with images. Only copies to be sent out are exported to PNG and transferred; most work is left in uncompressed PS-D/B files. The RAM was overclocked to 2000MHz target so I can work faster by RAM and rely on Photoshop's GPU rendering for images with my 270X. The Hypertransfer was also affected to test the enhancements of the full duplex architecture, and sue all of the RAM's potential. I really didn't have a reason to change the CPU/NB speeds, but I did and it worked.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I'm not looking for that scale; I'm not looking to go past 6GHz. I fully understand the feat of overclocking (I've seen what it takes for a Pentium 4 to get to 5GHz)

You will need phase change or dry ice to stabilize 6GHz for that CPU. You might be able to stabilize 5.5GHz with very cold water cooling or TEC. That's also going to really put a strain on that PSU. If you look at most sub-zero tests with that chip they are using 1000W PSUs because that pig can really draw some current.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I spent a day fully understanding my BIOS, and a month poking around to figure out each options boost. I'm only looking for the highest LOGICAL performance not the HIGHEST performance period; besides the FX-9370 isn't a very good platform to test on anyway if their just FX-9590s that couldn't make the cut.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I'm not looking for stability as you might think; I'm just looking for an unstable YET bootable and minute-in windows system. In retrospect I should have burned and installed Linux before when I had DVDs but it's too late now.

I can only look up to those who have enough money for shelves/slides of CPUs, redundant PSUs and OC specific motherboards; I'm just pushing the every-day limits for those stuck t 5.00GHz (that I have surpassed in the 8 core setup).

(edit) stability in the end but mostly bootability for the start; as I've said I have NOTHING else to do right now.

The FX-9370 is already binned about as high as it can go but still staying within 220W. The rest of the grab bag of chips go to the FX-8320s and 8350s.

What that means is, you very well might not much higher than stock frequencies while on air cooling. These chips need cold to get much higher than 5GHz.

See CPU-Z validation in my signature. That is really pushing the boundaries of air cooling and only the quad core version of FX.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I'm using an H-80; the very basic of Liquid. It isn't great, but it keeps it cool. I've got under 50°C and sometimes even 40°C temps on this thing at 5GHz already maxing the fans out (Bought a silent case so I could put louder things in it, not so it would be quiet)

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I tried to post it as a discussion, sorry if I came off as an asshole (totally am one though, though most people who KNOW me say I'm not)

Fair eough :) I was under the impression that you wanted help with overclocking, tuing advice, ect...

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I'll start a new thread for this, but I can't continue because I can't even get a basic 5.2GHz to boot because windows 8.1 won't boot it. If I use windows 8 I get NO DirectX related BSODs, but in Windows 7 I can't run he OS for 1 hour without a DirectX BSOD (even with Aero disabled and no purposely running DirectX application), but I can boot overclocks.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
What I would like to know on overclocking though is if there is a program (other than AMD overdrive) that I can use to change the arget multiplier on a system that wasn't built for overclocking (ASUS Intel P5N73-AM and an HP 210 netbook that both run well but could deserve the extra kick). 2.93GHz out of the Pentium 4 in the desktop just isn't enough and I need just a little bit more for what I could use it for, and the netbook was reformatted with a x64 instal and while the RAM mostly limits the unit (working on upgrading that) a max target of 10x (thus 1.66Ghz) could use a boost to at least 10.5x; the processor truly is worth it's price but the hyper threading is just that much faster than the processor.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Instant BSOD; unmodified boots (i.e offset mode) just restart, but a manual one BSODs in the middle of loading (normally 3 idle animations, then splash screen. manual gets 1 and starts the second one then split second of BSOD screen, and jump back to BIOS prompt)

Then the only way is to get sub-zero to lower leakage currents through the P-N junctions of the Base-Emitter in the transistors :)

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I'll probably go and buy DVDs tomorrow to instal Windows 7 on the second partition I have for it, but until then I'm stuck wit just windows 8.1 because my USB died this week.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I would think that it's getting this bad due to Voltage leaking, but with a build size as big as the process is for the FX-9370 my chip must just suck, or my motherboard. I've suspected it being a prime problem for everything since I installed it, all USB ports and drivers are on/off randomly, and the plastic for the PCIe clips broke the second I first inserted my graphics card.

Actually for your cooler, an H80, your results are quite average, or even above. Most of these chips will not do 5GHz stable without at least a dual radiator loop.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
My point isn't on the speed but the voltage; I can't change it even at base clock. I can change the RAM Voltage just fine but nothing with the CPU or Northbridge

(edit) though I've seen this problem with other FX-9370 owners so maybe it's a lock in the chip to prevent the consumer from saving $200 when the FX-9 series released.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I only use the BIOS; I learned to to screw with things while in-OS; that's why I can't get anywhere near 5.2GHz in windows 8 (even if Voltage wasn't a problem)

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I've safely booted 5050MHz target, and my RAM is performing well so far (no errors so far, which is beyond normal) though I only have 4 cores enabled right now. I'll try for 6 and then 8, though I don't use anything that uses all 8 cores, just RAM intensive programs like editing 8K images in Photoshop.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Would it be more effective to boot into a more legacy OS like Window 2K or Windows XP to speed up the booting process? I'm getting tired of seeing the Windows 8.1 Startup Repair screen.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
FX8350 \ 990FX SABRTOOTH REVISION 2 \ PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE BIG AIR COOLER.

2u90j1u.png