New H80i Install with heat problems!

Ryan Mackintosh

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Hi Guys

First post here but have been a reader for a while and have found many answers here! Great forum :)

Ok I just built a new PC after being out of the gaming loop for a few years

Gigabyte Z87m-D3h
i5 4670k 3.4ghz
ares gskill 2 x 8gig ddr3 1600
H80i Water cooling

ok so i installed everything and got PC up and running with win7. When i Installed the h80i into the case which is a microatx Nanoxia deep silence 4 it was a bit of a tight squeeze and i wasn't 100% sure about the fit. It fitted fine in the end but i lifted the heatsink a few times when having problems with the screws and i noticed that only half of thermal paste was touching. So i readjusted and tightened the screws because the pipes from the cooler were sort of pulling it up to one side because of the angle.

When i did a Prime95 4 line torture test it basically jumps to 100 degrees straight away and them freezes up. Im guessing this is because of the thermal paste not setting correctly because i messed around with it a few times? Im basically just after thoughts and confirmation, the CPU sits around 28degrees when idle and occasianly jumps up to about 35-40 when doing tasks.

Thoughts?

Cheers guys!

z0rr0w

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
If your thermal paste has been applied and then moved around and reapplied it will likely not work very good, I'd recommend getting soem more thermal paste, cleaning the old off and the reapply it and put your h80i back on