What to buy 30" HDTV or a 23" PC Monitor?

TommyGar

Honorable
May 1, 2014
After reading some similar posts I need less technical and more day-to-day opinions on this. I am NOT a computer person. I just like to press buttons and smile when the pretty lights come on.

I went to Best Buy looking for a new Display for my computer. I mainly use it for playing Video Games, watching movies/shows and some light Photoshop/Home Movie editing. I currently run my resolution at 1280x1080-32bit.

Two items that caught my eye:
$230 Samsung - 23.6" LED HD Monitor
$269 Samsung - 29" Class LED - 720p - 60Hz - HDTV.

23.6" vs 29" is a large difference. I want a large monitor :p

The helper guy told me that there was a reason why they have Computer Monitors in one section and TV's on another section. The dude was a little apathetic, did not care to explain anything and looked at me like I was an idiot so I just left the store and not going back to that one. BUT I still need to buy the display... I use the computer for hours every day and image quality is my main concern.

So... Will the 29" TV "look as good" as a computer monitor?

samuraimastr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I'm assuming the 23.6" monitor is 1080p? Either way the answer is most likely no. TV's have different color reproductions than monitors, different inputs; essentially different uses. Could you use a TV as a monitor? Of course, but a 29" display that's only 720p that you'll be sitting fairly close to is going to look pretty pixelated. Plus, for Photoshop, you want all the resolution you can get. Same thing with movie editing.

I'd recommend looking into ordering a 27" monitor on Amazon/Newegg/TigerDirect/etc. You can usually find one on sale for around the $200 range, or, if you're impatient, you can definitely find one for $250. I ordered one awhile back and have never regretted it, the extra screen space is really nice and the full 1080p really does make a difference compared to a 720p TV.