Apr 27, 2014
gtx 780
i5 4670k
g series seasonic 650w
1tb wd blue
8gp ram ripjaw 1866
fractal r4
etc

so im building my build and im thinking about getting the most basic parts at first to see if everything works and create a good idea if everything fits in thy case. a month or so later i will be adding a h100i and a ssd +hdd instead of just 1 wd hdd. my question is whether it is ok to game with the stock cooler for now with the games at the highest settings.

will it overheat? how will my 100 percent load temps be like and my actual game temps. will it hurt my cpu's durability and longevity. all these questions constantly ponder through my mind.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hey,

if you are not doing some crazy overclocks you are fine to run the CPU with the stock cooler - after all it's Intel who ship it with this cooler. The downside of the stock cooler is that it's quite noisy and of course not very good at keeping temps low. But it won't hurt your CPU at all.

sanhuy

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
yeh thats what i thought, but i see these threads on this forum saying their cpu idles at like 50c and load at like 90 and stuff with stock coolers, so im just wondering why that is the case. is it bacuase of their build, room temp, mistakes in taking temps, or maybe the thermal paste idk

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Well yeah, a lot of factors can contribute to raising the CPU temps - cable management, case ventilation, overclocking, room temperatures, other hardware in the case, poor cooler installation etc.

I've used a stock cooler before when I couldn't afford to buy a better one. You'll be fine :)