HDD just shows a .cm0013 file

Akshit Vaidya

Reputable
May 1, 2014
A friend of mine used my HDD to watch movies on a TV. Now whenever i connect my HDD to computer or a laptop, it indicates the data being present on the HDD but doesnt show any. There is only a .cm0013 file on HDD now. What to do ?

wlp3333

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Are you viewing hidden files? Sometimes things can go wrong and files can be hidden. Just my .02

Best of luck!!!

PaulMcRae

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
They probably have a Samsung Smart TV, great TV crap software, full of bugs, poorly designed and a weak impersonation of the Android genuine article! The CM0013 file is I believe a Samsung stupidity because I have many Samsung Smart TVs and somewhat infuriating this file keeps appearing, it can be safely removed, but it will come back every time.

Samsung offer a feature to allow movies to be shared across TVs and PCs using your WiFi/Network, however, the feature once again is poorly designed and as with a lot of Samsung software, has flash user interface but implementation is farcically amateurish. It writes to the source drive and creates additional files and references and I suspect this may be related to your problem especially if the drive directory became corrupted because they were not aware it was being written to and unplugged it (Samsungs program to create this library takes about 30 hours to run on a 2TB drive full of 700k films, so its no wonder people give up because it has all the symptoms of a hang!)

On your PC, right click the drive-->Properties-->Tools-->Check the drive for errors-->Check now. On a 2TB drive, it may take many hours, be patient. It works quicker if you do it from a decent laptop since they usually have better USB3 support.

Maneeshatul

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
I had similar problem with my Pen drive.

I connected the pen drive and opened it in the Windows explorer. Selected Tools -> Folder Options -> View and unchecked "Hide protected operating system Files (Recommended) and applied to the folder. It worked.

RamaATN

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
Had a similar problem, this is how i resolved. The root cause is the TV software making the file content hidden and we need to unhide it.

Open cmd prompt and go the drive and type dir /ah, you will be able to see all your contents. To make it visible, attrib *.* -h -s /s /d , type that command and check in explorer. You will be all set, it does display all hidden folders which were meant to be hidden for valid reasons, which is not an issue for me. You might want to execute folder by folder that command instead of *.*, if you are particular about it.

Hope this helps.

Hamama

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016

Ssb22

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

Ssb22

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
I have an 8Tb Seagate, have been using it on a Samsung Smart TV to watch show's. Recently, I purchased an Xbox One, and when I plug it in, it displays the D: and E: partitions but shows no content. When I click into those drives, it states: No Files Found. (There are plenty of movies, music, photo's, ect. to be found/dislayed)

I found this, because I noticed a CM0013 file on the hdd's main explorer page. And, it just happens that I was also using a Samsung smart tv. However, I ran the command prompt in Admin mode and typed in the command: F:\>attrib *.* -h -s /s /d The return states:
Access denied - F:\System Volume Information. Now what?