How long will this CPU and MOBO last me?

Nick Liddell

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
I'm building my PC and I have chosen the

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116939
and
ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132053

I plan on buying one graphics card at first and then building on it from there. How long do you think that these will be up to date with the performance standard rising?

5 years? 10 years?

I mean with overclocking I could get it to 4.5ghz so It could last a while.

Would those 2 components be a good investment?

todd1780

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Predicting the future of technology is always a difficult thing to do. No one really knows where things will be in 5 or 10 years. Are game developers going to focus more on GPU intensive things like textures and particle effects or are they going to go the route of more CPU intensive tasks like AI? Will video and audio encoding be using more CPU or GPU or Both?
Will all that being said, I think you made a great choice in both CPU and motherboard. The fact that its a core i7 will help the viability of that CPU for years to come. It should easily chew up anything you throw at it for the next 5 years at a minimum, perhaps even a few years after that. Its a k-series CPU so if you find its getting sluggish in a few years you can overclock it to squeeze even more performance out of it, after all, the motherboard you chose is a great overclocking board.
If this machine is for gaming then focus on getting a high end video card and you should have a beastly gaming rig for many years to come.
Short answer = You picked 2 very high quality components to base your machine on. Good job. :)

Lunatasian

Jul 5, 2012
I agree with todd1780 and think he deserves the best answer. +1 for that. It is extremely hard to predict what technology will be like in 5 or 10 years especially at the fast rate at which it is improving at right now. Those are top of the line parts and could definitely last you 10 years, but probably will be on the lower end of the spectrum during that time. For example, we bought a mid range pentium 4 back in 2004, and it still works, but obviously it's not something that is ideal or something to be proud of :D. 5 years, I think so. It seems to me that it will be good for about 4-5 years and remain mid to high end. For example Core 2 Quads have been out for a while, but they still perform rather good, and are comparable in performance with a Sandy Bridge i3, or a Haswell Pentium, except ofc it has 4 cores. Best of luck. Hope I helped!

-Lunatasian.