Exotic coolant option or not do-able? + other small questions

alexkahn1

Honorable
Mar 1, 2014
I am currently (still) building my new rig, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use motorcycle engine coolant in my two cooling circles?

Because essentially a water cooling loop is essentially the same as an Engine cooling system. An engine has radiators, the same possible piping problems as a liquid cooled computer, pumps etc.

Engine coolant wouldnt clog (if it could it would be useless in engines) and i do not think it would cause many problems.

What do you guys think?

Do-able? If not, what could/should i use instead?

Also, i am trying to decide what fittings to use. I think as my internals will be on display I will use compression fittings (also piping wont pop off (at least, not as easily as barbs)) but i dont know what size to use.

Is there any difference in fitting sizes? what effect to larger ones have on a loop? What effect do smaller ones have on a loop? Is there a sort of 'standard' size that is recommended above others?

Really, these two subjects are two of three matters that is stopping me from just outright buying all the things i need to essentially finish my rig and begin on the construction and testing of my water loops.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Water has some of the best specific heat and heat transfer properties of any liquid, thats why it is used as a coolant. The antifreeze you mix into the water in your radiator actually reduces both of these properties to lower the freezing point and raise the boiling point, useful for a coolant that has to deal with an extremely hot metal block in the dead of winter, but not so useful for a computer which has to deal with a hot CPU in a moderate temperature room.

Distilled water is the coolant recommended for liquid cooling systems, it won't mess with anything and it will move heat around extremely well.

I'm going to leave the fittings questions to someone who has set up a liquid cooling loop before.

There is no functional reason to use fittings larger that the fittings on the pump. The inside diameter of the pump outlet is the limiting factor.

There is no reason to use engine anti-freeze unless the system is going to be exposed to freezing temperatures. Water and a biocide additive are all that is required.